Adams Finds Senior Tutor Close to Home

By Sarah A. Dolgonos, Crimson Staff Writer

Adams House didn't have to look very far to replace outgoing Senior Tutor David B. Fithian. His partner, Michael R. Rodriguez, will assume the post on July 1.

House Master Judith Palfrey announced the appointment at Friday's House tea. In conjunction with his new Adams House position, Rodriguez has also been named a lecturer in the College psychology department, satisfying the Faculty of Arts and Sciences affiliation required for the Senior Tutor position. Next year, Rodriguez will teach a seminar on the societal effects of HIV and a lecture course on human sexuality in addition to his position as Senior Tutor.

Rodriguez' appointment comes after a series of changes in Adams House. Judith and Sean Palfrey are only in their second year as House Masters, following the retirement of Robert J. Kiely and his wife Jana, who served as masters for 26 years.

"The Palfreys are great and it's a really good time in the House," Rodriguez said. "They've settled in and I know the House really well, and I think it's a really good time to take that knowledge and move forward."

Rodriguez completed his undergraduate studies at Cornell University and Hunter College, and received a doctorate in clinical psychology from Yale. For the past three years, Rodriguez has been working as a research fellow at the Commonwealth research and evaluation unit, working with inpatient schizophrenics.

The selection process for the Senior Tutor position is long and rigorous. Appointment requires the consent of both House Masters and Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis `68.

Adams House Co-Master Sean Palfrey said that Rodriguez had been the top choice of the Adams House selection committee, which was composed of both Senior Common Room members and Adams House residents.

"One of the things that was very special for us was that everyone on the selection committee said that Michael was our first choice," said Palfrey. "He is...bright and practical and sensible, and will bring many of the qualities that David Fithian had. We are going from one great Senior Tutor to another."

Master Judith Palfrey said she looks forward to working with Rodriguez in the professional and social setting.

"He's extremely serious and at the same time loves fun," she said.

Lewis reiterated the Palfreys' enthusiasm for Rodriguez' selection.

"Michael is a wonderful person, and I am thrilled that he has agreed to become Senior Tutor," Lewis wrote in an e-mail. "He will be teaching in the psychology department, so students will benefit from him doubly."

Fithian said he is excited to still have connections with the House. He expressed excitement for Rodriguez' opportunity to fill a position he enjoyed very much.

"It's a great position. It's one of the few positions in the University where you get to see personal lives, and work with the administration," Fithian said. "It's a great mix of exposure to all aspects of undergraduate education. And the great thing about Michael's appointment is that they couldn't have found anyone who cares more about the House."

--Staff writer Sarah A. Dolgonos can be reached at dolgonos@fas.harvard.edu.