Record Number of First-Years Will Defer

By Nicole B. Usher, Crimson Staff Writer

A record number of students accepted for the College's Class of 2005 have already decided to wait a year before packing their bags for Harvard Yard.

But despite the number of deferrals, the projected yield for the class--the percentage of accepted students who decide to matriculate--could exceed last year's 78.9 percent anyway, admissions officials said.

Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath-Lewis `70-`73 attributed the increased number of deferrals to a recent admissions office statement encouraging students to take time off before entering college.

"The number of students deciding to defer for a year may have affected our yield slightly, but we are still quite pleased with the high numbers," McGrath-Lewis said.

The statement, which was released to national media, also stressed the importance of personal growth over the qualities the "ideal applicant" might need.

McGrath-Lewis said this statement might have affected the increase in deferrals. She said 43 students accepted to the College have already asked to defer their entrance. At this point in the year, this number usually hovers in the low 20s.

"The letter legitimizes a student's decision to take time off," she said. "I think people are listening to what the admissions office has to say."

Students who elect to defer are included in the yield numbers as "not coming."

Admissions officers also credited the improved financial aid program with maintaining yield numbers over the past three years at levels not seen since the 1970s.

"The strength of our financial aid program certainly contributes to students' decision to come to Harvard," McGrath-Lewis said.

Over the course of the last three years, Harvard has added a total of $4,000 to student financial aid packages. This year, Harvard decreased the amount each student is expected to contribute by $2,000.

Admissions officers see the boost to the financial aid program as a reflection of the College's overall philosophy.

"We want to make sure that students get the most out of the time they spend here at Harvard," McGrath-Lewis said.

--Staff writer Nicole B. Usher can be reached at usher@fas.harvard.edu.