HUPD Warns of Attempted Rape

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

An assault on a female undergraduate inside the DeWolfe Street Housing complex Sunday night has prompted the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) to issue a community advisory.

Police said the suspect, a six foot two inch tall black male with a muscular build, short cropped hair and puffy cheeks, intended to rape the victim, but her screams scared him away.

Around 1 a.m. Sunday morning, the student was followed back to her dorm by a man who attempted to engage her in conversation.

The assailant, who said his name was Tyrone and that he was known on the street as “T,” asked the victim to walk down to the Charles River with him.

He also asked if she was interested in buying drugs.

When the victim reached her DeWolfe Street residence, the suspect assaulted her in the foyer of the building.

She screamed and the assailant fled down towards Memorial Drive.

Police said that there were elements of the assault and statements that made them believe that he had intended to rape the victim.

HUPD units and Cambridge police searched the area immediately after receiving the report but were unable to locate the suspect.

At the time of the incident, he was wearing a dark T-shirt, boots and possibly jeans or light khaki pants. He was carrying a black backpack.

HUPD detectives are continuing to investigate the crime, HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara said.

She asked that anyone with information about the assault call the Criminal Investigation Division at (617) 495-1796.

McNamara advised that students should be aware of their surroundings, and that those who are out late should travel in groups whenever possible.

—Staff writer Garrett M. Graff can be reached at ggraff@fas.harvard.edu.