Water Polo Aims for Second Shot at UMass

By Martin S. Bell, Crimson Staff Writer

Its early. The Harvard mens water polo team has only played three games, and its date with UMass this weekend will be only the second between the squads. By the time the season ends, there could be as many as five.

But make no mistake about it. This Saturday nights home game could be one of the greatest moments in the programs history.

After its heartstopping 11-10 triple-overtime loss to the No. 13 Minutemen on Sept. 8, the No. 20 Crimson (2-1, 0-0 CWPA) knows that anything is possible.

We did a good job, Harvard Coach Jim Floerchinger said of the setback. We still had many opportunities that we didnt take advantage of. At the end of the season, hopefully, were playing that kind of game and winning it.

At the end of the season, they should at the very least be healthier. The Crimson played its first weekendwhich also included a 6-4 win over Brown and a 15-6 thumping of Ionawithout a completely healthy lineup. Co-captain Gresham Bayne, who has had to deal with a number of injuries throughout his collegiate career, missed this weekends competition with a back injury he sustained in practice.

Junior Paul Tselentis filled in admirably in goal, collecting 10 saves.

Paul was fired up, screaming and pumping his fists, Bayne said. You could just tell he was in the zone. When Paul is in the zone, things go well.

Bayne remains questionable for this weekend.

Sophomore two-meter Todd Schulte was also missing in action for the Crimson after dislocating his shoulder, and junior driver Theo Ludwick was also sidelined with an injury.

According to Floerchinger, Schulte will most likely not play this weekend.

Given these obstacles, what the Crimson accomplished two weekends ago seems even more impressive. Harvard was able to hang tough with a team that had swept the Crimson last year, a team that returned its top seven scorers from 2000 and had already beaten No. 14 St. Francis this season.

The Crimson did it with defense, holding UMass (6-1) to just two second-half goals. Trailing 7-5 in the fourth quarter, the Crimson rallied to send the game to an overtime period, and then pushed the highest-ranked team in the East to two extra sessions.

Overall, defense was really solid, Bayne said. UMass didnt capitalize on a lot of its opportunities and when they tried, Paul was there.

Senior two-meter Sean Cheng led Harvard in scoring with three goals, while junior Michael Masterson chipped in with two. Sophomore David Stahl also turned a noteworthy effort. Pressed into service in Schultes absence, Stahl filled in well at the two-meter position.

Everyones stepped up big, Floerchinger said. There are a lot of guys who dont ever get their names in The Crimson, but in practice, they make it a pain in the ass for the guys who do.

A win over the Minutemen would confirm what many on the team have believed for two seasonsthat the Crimson has what it takes to compete for the Eastern Championships and an NCAA berth. But even as the team continues to improve, Floerchinger expects the Minutemen-and the rest of Harvards local competition-to adjust.

I dont believe for a second that UMass or anyone else will stand still, Floerchinger said. Its a constantly evolving landscape were facing. The summit hasnt been reached here, the summit keeps moving.

The Crimson will play two early games against BC and MIT at MIT on Saturday, and then return home to Blodgett Pool to face the Minutemen at 9 p.m.