CS50 Enrollment Drops By a Third

By Zachary Z Norman, Crimson Staff Writer

Afro-American Studies 10: “Introduction to Afro-American Studies” might be full to bursting, but another traditional favorite is losing steam: Computer Science 50: “Introduction to Computer Science I,” enrolled about a third fewer students this fall.

There are 181 students taking the course now, down from 262 students in 2000 and 267 in 1999, according to preliminary figures released by the registrar’s office.

The computer science concentration’s director of undergraduate studies, Associate Professor Steven J. Gortler, said that the drop in the economy could be one factor behind the drop in enrollment.

There may be “less of an interest now that the economy has turned slightly south,” he said.

Changes in concentration requirements, as well as new classes, may also explain the lower enrollment.

The applied math concentration, for example, no longer requires CS50 but rather offers it as one of many ways to fulfill a credit.

Applied math concentrator Jesse R. Andrews ’03 said he still elected to take the course now to fulfill that requirement.

“With what you learn in CS50, you’re ready to program on a serious level,” Andrews said, explaining his decision to take the course.

But some students are already advanced enough to skip to the next level.

Gortler said the computer science concentration is now advising students who scored a 5 on the Advanced Placement Computer Science AB exam to skip CS50 and start with CS51.

A recent addition to the Core curriculum could also be siphoning students not concentrating in computer science away from CS50. Quantitative Reasoning 20: “Computers and Computing,” covers many of the same topics as CS50. Last year QR20 had an enrollment of 87.

Because both CS51 and QR20 are taught in the spring, Gortler said that the concentration will wait to discuss the long term implications.

“The faculty has not had time to discuss it very much,” he said.

Gortler said the shifting of students into other classes may have a positive impact because the range of student ability and interest will be narrower than with a larger enrollment.

The class has tried to be many things to many people in the past, he said.

Although CS50 is being taught by a visiting professor this term, Robert Muller, the course remains essentially the same, according to Bryan T. Kim ’02, head teaching fellow.

“I’m confident that the course will continue to be a really valuable experience for the students enrolled. I think the course is a really terrific introduction,” Muller wrote in an e-mail.

—Staff writer Zachary Z. Norman can be reached at znorman@fas.harvard.edu.