Professor Talks On His Mormon Beliefs

By Erin M. Kane, Contributing Writer

In explaining the tenets of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at a weekly Catholic Student Association (CSA) meeting Monday night, Dunster House Master and IBM Professor of Business and Government Roger B. Porter said his faith shaped his attitude and approach to life.

About 50 students attended Porter’s hour-long presentation about a wide range of topics, including agency, moral choice and salvation.

“My purpose was to explain the beliefs of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the foundation for those beliefs as well as to respond fully to questions,” Porter said in an e-mail.

Porter quoted the New Testament from memory and used it to explain the foundation of his beliefs. He also spoke about his own spirituality.

Porter said Mormons believe everyone is born with a “light of Christ” that guides moral decision-making.

Porter also gave an account of the founding of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and explained the role of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.

Porter commended the students for their spiritual focus.

“I’m impressed that you have taken an hour out of your time to think about your spiritual life,” Porter said.

In his presentation, Porter discussed the importance of allocating time wisely and in accordance with priorities.

Despite his religious focus, Porter also drew upon politics to explain his

outlook on adversity.

He cited Sen. John S. McCain (R-Az.) as an example of someone who grew stronger through a difficulty—in McCain’s case, as a prisoner of war.

Many students who are currently enrolled in Porter’s class on the American Presidency attended.

“It was very cool to see Professor Porter in a context other than a government class,” said Aramis L. Perez ’06. “Normally you’d expect him to be talking about this or that aspect of the presidency, and here he was sharing this personal aspect of his life, and that’s a wonderful opportunity to have.”

Father Tom Brennan, who works with the student committee to plan CSA Nights, said the committee has tried to plan events that allow Catholic students to learn more about other faiths.

“We’re trying very much to expand the way we look at interreligious dialogue,” Brennan said.

After the presentation, Porter remained at the CSA to respond to questions individually.

“He was there almost until ten o’clock answering questions. We were glad to see that people had questions and were interested, and we were also grateful to him for accommodating them,” said Jonathan S. Gnoza ’05, who serves on the planning committee for CSA Nights.

Porter said that he enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with students.

“As my wife and I walked home we reflected on the remarkable students who come to Harvard and how fortunate we feel to associate with them each day,” Porter wrote in an e-mail. “It was a worthwhile way to spend an evening.”