All-Female Social Club Inducts Members

By Milena M. Andzelm, Contributing Writer

The new members of Pleiades met at a secret location Saturday night as the three co-founders inducted the first 12 members of the new all-female social club.

The 12 new members were escorted by male upperclass students in tuxes from their dorm rooms to the brief induction ceremony, said club co-founder Abby E. Carruthers ’04. It was then followed by a cocktail party.

“At times it didn’t seem like it was going to come off, but it went really well,” Carruthers said. “We’re really excited and happy about how it went.”

During the ceremony, each new member signed the official membership book and was given a silver bracelet with a star charm made exclusively for Pleiades.

According to Carruthers, the cofounders also introduced the main points of the club to the inductees—sisterhood, service to the community and self-improvement.

One of the group’s upcoming activities is to trick-or-treat for canned food, which will be donated to a food pantry.

For now, the group will be limited to 15 members.

“We’ll be focusing on getting to know each other really well before we bring other girls into the group,” said Tanya F. Perkins ’04.

Others will be able to join the group in the spring, when Pleiades holds an open application process.

In choosing the members, Perkins said the co-founders sought out acquaintances they wanted to spend time with but hadn’t yet had the opportunity to.

Eventually, Pleiades hopes to have about 30 members, Carruthers said.

The future of the club, Perkins said will depend on many factors, including the possible decision of the National Panhellenic Council to bring a third sorority to Harvard.

The club’s decision on whether or not to become a sorority will be made by all of the initial members of the club, Carruthers said.