Vote O’Brien For Governor

State treasurer’s experience and progressive views make her the right candidate for Mass.

By The CRIMSON Staff

It is difficult to believe that it has been 12 years since Massachusetts, easily one of the most liberal states in the nation, has had a Democratic governor. As the corner office has passed from Republicans Bill Weld to Paul Cellucci to Jane Swift, the quality of the state’s leadership has dramatically declined. It is high time to elect a governor worthy of this state. On Nov. 5, Massachusetts’ citizens should cast their votes for State Treasurer Shannon P. O’Brien.

Massachusetts is facing budget, health and education problems at the same time that economic stagnation has caused tax revenues to drop. Though Republican Mitt Romney has trumpeted the fact that he is a “nonpolitician,” the state needs someone on Beacon Hill who has experience in government and can make effective public policy. O’Brien, with eight years of service in the state legislature and four more as treasurer, will undoubtedly be able to implement her sensible recommendations.

O’Brien has intelligent new plans to improve K-12 education. She recognizes many of the problems that have plagued Massachusetts’ attempt to institute the statewide curriculum frameworks. She will increase the length of time aspiring teachers must spend training in an actual classroom setting, and she will pair veteran teachers with young ones to help them guidance at the beginning of their careers. She also wants more funding for after-school and summer school programs as well as job training for people who do not attend college.

O’Brien has several concrete proposals to save money on health care—freeing up more funds to extend health coverage to the state’s thousands of uninsured residents. O’Brien would expand state assistance to local health centers that purchase drugs at a discounted rate, saving patients money and allowing more people to get the prescriptions they need. She shows an unparalleled dedication to expanding coverage to the poor by implementing preferred drug purchasing and allowing uninsured residents to purchase discounted drugs under the state’s Medicaid plan.

On many other issues, O’Brien takes visionary, progressive stances that contrast starkly with Romney. She supports civil unions and opposes “Defense of Marriage” legislation, which denies gays and lesbians basic civil rights. This civil union proposal would offer gay and straight couples the same legal rights. Romney claims to support gay rights, but he takes the Republican Party stand that marriage is sacred and reserved only for heterosexual couples. Though O’Brien should have been courageous enough to endorse gay marriage without any reservations, civil unions are unquestionably a step in the right direction.

O’Brien opposes Question 2, a misguided initiative that seeks to eliminate bilingual education. Romney, on the other hand, has endorsed the initiative that, if it passes, will only marginalize minority communities. O’Brien supports bilingual education as well as programs which will help move children to English proficiency without detracting from their education.

On gun control, O’Brien supports reasonable legislation that would mandate locked storage or trigger locks. Romney thinks the current laws are enough, even though dozens of Massachusetts residents die each year of accidental shootings.

O’Brien is opposed to the death penalty and, instead, supports sentencing the worst criminals to life in prison without parole. Romney is in favor of the death penalty, despite the fact that DNA evidence has freed many wrongfully convicted prisoners in the past few years.

Unfortunately, negative campaigning from both sides has obscured the issues in what has become a very tight race—a true tragedy in an election where substantive campaigns could have illuminated the important issues at stake.

In this close race, every vote will be crucial. The Crimson strongly endorses Shannon P. O’Brien and her running mate Christopher F. Gabrieli.