Boston To Host 2004 Democratic Convention

By William B. Higgins, Contributing Writer

The Democratic Party has named Boston the host of its 2004 national convention, and despite a report that Harvard may help to stage the event it is unclear how the University will factor into the city’s plans.

Boston beat out New York, Miami and Detroit to get the nod from the Democratic National Committee yesterday.

Boston has never held a major party’s national convention, but Democratic Party Chair Terry McAuliffe said the city’s historic legacy and diverse population made it a compelling choice.

“The story of Boston is the story of America’s struggle for freedom,” he said in a press release yesterday.

The Boston Globe reported on Monday that Harvard had joined other area educational institutions in offering some of its housing space to alleviate the inevitable furious scramble for lodging.

But University spokesperson Joe Wrinn said yesterday he has no knowledge of such an agreement.

And Harvard’s liaison to the Boston City Hall, Alan J. Stone, vice president for government, community and public affairs, also said he had not heard anything about Harvard having a role in staging the convention.

Stone said it was “possible but very unlikely” that any such agreement might have been made without his involvement.

Student Democrats applauded their party’s decision.

“As Harvard students, we’re very excited by the proximity,” said R. Gerard McGeary ’04, newly-elected president of the Harvard College Democrats. “Hopefully we can arrange to send some students to the convention.”

The announcement ended an intense bidding war. Each city was eager to secure the prestige and economic perks that accompany a political convention.

Potential host cities showcased their unique charms and seduced committee members with financial pledges. New York promised $72 million, more than any other city.

Boston’s countless universities, formidable health-care system and high-tech industry also made the city attractive to the Democratic Party, McAuliffe said in his press release.

An unprecedented offer of $20 million in cash commitments from Boston businesses further bolstered the city’s bid. All told, Boston promised a total of $49.5 million for the event.

The convention will take place the week of July 26, 2004, and will be held in the Fleet Center, which seats 19,000. The event is expected to create around 5,000 jobs and bring 50,000 visitors to Boston.

The economic windfall is estimated at about $150 million, said Peter Nagles, a spokesperson for Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

As Democrats seek to unseat President Bush in his predicted bid for reelection, they will find a receptive audience for their convention, according to McAuliffe. Massachusetts is one of the most reliably Democratic states in the nation.

Senator John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), a likely candidate for the Democratic nomination, yesterday dismissed the idea that Democrats might have chosen the convention site with him in mind.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, meanwhile, said he remains optimistic that Republicans will hold their 2004 convention in the Big Apple. New Orleans and Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla., are other potential sites for the event, which will be held the week of Aug. 30. Republicans are expected to reveal their choice by early December.

—Material from the Associated Press was used in the compilation of this story.