Protests for Democracy

America should support the Iranian student reformers, but only from a distance

By The CRIMSON Staff

Last week, Iran was rocked by some of the largest student protests since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. More than 5,000 students gathered at the Modaress Training University in Tehran, and demonstrations spread to the provincial cities of Tabriz, Isfahan, Urumiyeh and Hamedan. The protesters called for the state to overturn the death sentence of Hashem Aghajari, a lecturer who said Iranians should not blindly follow the words of clerics. Yesterday, when Iran’s leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ordered the judiciary to review Aghajari’s sentence, the students accomplished one of their goals. But they also called for a greater tolerance of free speech and widespread constitutional reforms, demands that remain unfulfilled.

We stand in solidarity with these brave students. Speaking out so bluntly takes great courage—Iran has a long history of persecuting those who oppose the current regime. In 1999, after a week of similar protests over the closing of a pro-reform newspaper, hard-line vigilantes attacked university dormitories and killed one student. Many of the student leaders were suppressed and jailed. This time, Ayatollah Khamenei again issued official warnings and threatened to use force. Fortunately, this did not deter the students.

Students were the catalyst for the 1979 revolution that instituted the Ayatollahs. The United States, though, must resist the urge to directly intervene to help topple the fundamentalist regime. Though it is important that America stand behind the reformers, any direct action, or even over-enthusiastic support, could be a burden. In July President Bush made a direct appeal to the people of Iran to press for the political and social reforms that President Mohammad Khatami had been trying to achieve. Instead of spurring reforms, the comments merely gave hard-liners an excuse to launch a wave of repression.

For reform to be truly effective it must come from within the country and have the support of the Iranian people. Only a true constitutional democracy can ensure long-term regional stability. Bush must understand that what is good for the United States is not necessarily what is best for the Iranian people.