Unusual Crime Wave Hits Harvard Yard

Two daylight robberies still under investigation, one arrest made in Friday evening assault

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Yard, the usually safe and quiet home to Harvard’s first-years and most undergraduate classes, was plagued by three violent incidents last week.

Two daylight robberies and an evening assault—described by the victim as a hate crime—occurred last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) has not made any arrests in the two robberies, but did arrest a juvenile in connection with the assault shortly after it occurred, according to HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano.

No one was injured in any of the incidents, although the use of a weapon was threatened in the second robbery and the assault.

The Robberies

The first incident took place Wednesday around 3:30 p.m. when a Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School student was approached in the Yard by three black males and one black female of high school age, Catalano said.

While one of the suspects held the victim in a headlock, the others searched his pockets and removed his wallet.

The suspects fled the scene, and the victim returned to his school to report the robbery.

The second incident occurred one day later—Nov. 14—around the same time as the previous day’s robbery.

A Harvard undergraduate, Catalano said, was walking through the Yard near Widener Library when five black males of high school age, unknown to the victim, asked the victim for his money and demanded to see his pockets.

When the victim told the suspects he had no money with him, one of the suspects stated that he had a gun and would shoot the victim.

The suspects did not, however, display a gun.

While Catalano said it’s likely the two robberies are connected, he said the third incident—which occurred on around 9:45 p.m. on Friday night—is probably not related to the other two.

The Assault

In the third incident, a Harvard undergraduate and a friend said they were approached by group of eight black males, aged 12 to 14, near Harvard Hall.

One of the victims, a Harvard undergraduate who requested anonymity, said his first encounter with the suspects came as he and a friend were walking toward the Science Center and passed the group walking toward Johnston Gate.

The victim described the assault as a “gay-bashing” incident.

According to the victim, one of the suspects saw a rainbow flag on jacket of the victim’s friend and said, “What are you gay?”

The victim muttered to his friend “You can’t say that,” and the suspects heard.

One suspect replied, “Faggot, you talkin’ trash?” and then the group began to follow the victims, the victim said.

One of the suspects threw a basketball at the back of the victim’s friend.

Immediately after this, another suspect threatened the Harvard undergraduate with a knife, taking out an object that appeared to be a knife and making slashing motions in the air.

After the victims and the suspect exchanged more words, the suspects fled the scene and the victims used the emergency blue light phone at Weld Hall to call the police, Catalano said.

HUPD responded immediately, since officers were already present in the Yard, and located the suspects going into the Church Street subway station entrance.

“In this case, the victims did the right thing, immediately using the blue light emergency phone and calling us. Because we maintain a presence in the Yard and they called so quickly, we were in a position to observe suspects as they were exiting the Yard,” Catalano said.

Although the group initially consisted of eight suspects, HUPD only stopped five—the others escaped onto the subway, despite HUPD and the Cambridge Police Department’s searches of the trains.

The victims were able to positively identify the remaining suspects, and HUPD arrested one of them—the individual who had displayed an object which appeared to be a knife.

When HUPD searched the juvenile, Catalano said, he was actually carrying a dinner fork.

The juvenile is charged with “assault by means of a dangerous weapon” and “threats to commit a crime.” He was released to his mother and will be arraigned in juvenile court today.

A charge of assault does not necessarily imply actual physical violence, only the threat thereof.

The victim said that HUPD is considering whether to charge the suspects with civil rights violation, but said that he wasn’t sure there was enough concrete evidence to prove the charge.

“No decision has been made as to whether further charges will be pressed against the others in the group,” Catalano said.

Catalano said he could not comment on the motive of the suspects, but did say the incident was not being classified as a robbery because no money was demanded.

The victim said that he was very impressed not only by HUPD’s quick response and handling of the entire situation.

“HUPD had a really fast response time,” the victim said.

Safety Concerns

This string of crimes in an area most students consider a safe haven is causing concern in the community.

Although buildings in the Yard are often the target of larcenies, Catalano, said that he “can’t remember” another robbery in the Yard during his three years at HUPD.

While Catalano said he could not comment on staffing levels for the Yard, he did say that HUPD will be “paying extra attention to the Yard in an attempt to ensure the Yard is safe and secure.”

And with all three cases still under investigation, Catalano offered some advice to the community.

“Anybody put in an uncomfortable situation should try to get away as quickly as possible and call us,” he said. “If they can’t escape, they shouldn’t put up a fight. They should attempt to draw as much attention to themselves as possible by screaming.”

Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley “Ibby” Nathans wrote in an e-mail that she talked to HUPD about issuing a community advisory after the first Yard robbery occurred.

“When incidents such as the recent robberies occur, we urge students to follow the reminder and advice provided by HUPD,” Nathans said.

Catalano e-mailed an advisory to the Harvard community on Friday afternoon about the two Yard robberies, urging people to contact HUPD if they have any information about the incidents.

Despite the incidents, Catalano said that students should not be afraid to walk through the Yard, as long as they exercise proper caution.

“They should be vigilant when walking day or night, anywhere they are,” he said. “Walk in numbers, and use Safety Walk whenever possible.”

—Staff writer Jenifer L. Steinhardt can be reached at steinhar@fas.harvard.edu.