A Reluctant Californian Turns Cantab

By Samita Mannapperuma, Contributing Writer

“I won’t go out there. They don’t even really have a football team.”

At first listen, one may assume that this statement originated from a person facing exile to the Death Valley, the glaciers of Alaska, or perhaps some foreign country.

But Harvard University? You better believe it.

Those very words were uttered by senior defensive end Mike Armstrong when he was an 18-year-old enjoying high school, sports and the sun in San Diego, Calif., and had visions of joining past classmates on the Southern Cal track team.

Despite playing football at a young age, track was Armstrong’s athletic forte. He captained his high school track team for three years and set a San Diego record in the discus.

But Armstrong’s performance on the gridiron was equally dominating. He was league and division defensive player of the year his senior year, recording 11 sacks.

Prowess in both sports—in addition to natural athletic ability he acquired from a gifted family, which included an uncle who was a former Olympian—made him an appealing recruit for the Crimson football team.

“We recruited Mike Armstrong on potential,” says Harvard coach Tim Murphy. “He was very raw. One thing that caught our eye was that he had genetics on his side and a 180-foot throw in the discus.”

At first, Murphy’s chances of bringing Armstrong to Harvard were bleak. Armstrong was looking to continue in the discus closer to home.

“Football was big to me, but track was kind of like my own thing,” Armstrong says. “I really wanted to go to UCLA or USC.”

It took a lot for the Crimson to convert him—including an unexpected visit from Harvard assistant coach Jay Mills, a lot of convincing from family members and, finally, a visit to Cambridge.

“[Mills] called my house at like 5:30 a.m. one morning before school and I was basically trapped,” Armstrong says. “He came over and right away my grandmother, my grandfather and my mom were sold. It was an uphill battle from then on.”

Armstrong eventually agreed to travel to Harvard, where he was pleasantly surprised with the team and overall environment.

“It was great,” Armstrong says. “It was the complete opposite of what I had expected—just meeting the guys, the other recruits, and seeing the way things worked. My interest was piqued.”

The heightened interest eventually transformed into a true desire to be a part of the Crimson program, and Armstrong committed to Harvard later that spring.

But when he arrived in Cambridge the following fall, Armstrong discovered that adjusting to college life was going to be more challenging than he had anticipated.

“It was really hard,” Armstrong says. “Not only are you getting used to a new football program where you go from the stud in high school to the low man on the totem pole, but I was also getting used to the culture and the academic environment. My head was spinning.”

After seeing limited action his first two seasons, Armstrong saw considerable playing time as part of a three-man rotation his junior year. He recorded 16 tackles and a sack in the memorable, undefeated Ivy championship run.

“Last year was a great year for us,” says Armstrong. “There were a lot of moments that you look back and say, ‘Wow, I’m a part of something great.’”

Motivated by the team’s success, Armstrong stayed in Cambridge for the summer after both his sophomore and junior years for intensive training. His once lean, 210-pound frame has now bulked up to a solid 265 pounds.

As Armstrong began to grow into of a force on the field, he also developed into a team leader. His gregarious personality combined with his outstanding work ethic and on-field production garnered the respect and admiration of both players and coaches.

“He leads first by example,” says senior defensive end Pat Lavin. “But when something needs to be said, he’s not afraid to say it. Players definitely look to him as a leader and a role model.”

Now in his final year, Armstrong’s efforts are paying dividends. He has been a standout on the defensive line, recording 31 tackles, two sacks and two fumble recoveries in the Crimson’s first nine games.

But despite his improving play, Armstrong remains humble, thanking his coaches and teammates for their hard work.

“Mike, first of all, is a class act,” Murphy says. “He is one of the most respected kids on the team. He has a level of maturity about him. Even when he was a freshman, you almost had to look at him and ask, ‘Is this authentic?’”

If there was even a flicker of doubt about Armstrong back then, it has certainly been extinguished. Armstrong is for real.

You can ask the many teammates who enjoy playing with him, the coaches who commend his abilities or the many players that Armstrong has drilled into the turf during his career.

Clearly, this Californian now exudes Crimson. He has found himself a comfortable niche in the Ivy-draped brick buildings. So when he has to leave, Armstrong faces some tough decisions. Business school is definitely on the horizon, and he’s even thinking of starting his own business before then.

Judging by the determination and diligence that have characterized his past accomplishments, it is no stretch to conclude that this won’t be the last time you hear about Armstrong.

“He’s going to be a superstar when he leaves Harvard,” Murphy says. “He can do anything he wants to.”