Dershowitz Criticizes Canada’s Terrorism Policy

By Joan A. Tom, Contributing Writer

By failing to take a more active stance against terrorism Canada is making a “short-term deal with the devil,” according to Alan M. Dershowitz, Frankfurter Professor of Law.

At a news conference in Toronto on Monday, Dershowitz blasted Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham for recent remarks concerning the Hezbollah Lebanon-based organization.

Graham announced recently that the political wing of the Lebanese organization would not be added to Canada’s official list of terrorist groups, the Montreal Gazette reported.

Hezbollah is on the U.S. State Department’s list of foreign terrorist groups.

Graham said it would be wrong to brand the innocent teachers, doctors and politicians who belong to the organization’s political arm as terrorists.

Dershowitz described Canada as a security risk saying that the most likely route for terrorist entry into the U.S. would be through Canada.

“Graham is on the wrong side of history, on the wrong side of experience, on the wrong side of morality,” Dershowitz said.

Dershowitz said the political wing of Hezbollah was still connected to terrorist ambitions.

“The Nazi party also had doctors and lawyers,” Dershowitz said. “Terrorist groups hide behind good works.

Matthew Bunn, a specialist in nuclear weapons at the Kennedy School disputed Dershowitz’ claims.

Brunn said Canada was only one of many possible paths for terrorists to smuggle nuclear or chemical weapons into the U.S.

“The notion that you can’t get anthrax spores or nuclear missiles through any other path than Canada is just wrong,” Bunn said.