Pakistani Officials To Train At KSG

By Rebecca D. O’brien, Contributing Writer

Pakistani government officials will come to Harvard for a crash course in leadership and principles of a strong and ethical government.

The agreement signed last week by the Kennedy School of Government and the Pakistan Embassy in Washington provides for both the short-term training of Pakistani officials and a longer-term commitment to the country.

The plan represents a significant step in the University’s recently renewed 50-year relationship with Pakistan.

When Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf came to speak at the Kennedy School in September, he had mentioned his desire to strengthen his country’s relationship with Harvard.

“We see this [agreement] as a concrete expression to the general statements of Musharraf’s visit,” said Peter B. Zimmerman, senior associate dean for program development and executive education at the Kennedy School. “It is a statement of intent and purpose.”

In addition to training senior Pakistani officials, the agreement will encourage people from Pakistan to take part in the Kennedy School’s mid-career programs.

The Kennedy School will also work to help merge three of Pakistan’s government training institutes.

Pakistan will participate in a “custom” training initiative, Zimmerman said—a combination of a program explicitly for government officials and a less formal mid-career program.

Zimmerman said there is no estimated cost for the program yet, and it might be several months before Pakistani officials first arrive at Harvard.

According to a press release from the Pakistan Embassy in Washington, the collaboration reflects the country’s commitment to “good governance, democratic values and development.”

Kennedy School Dean Joseph S. Nye will select a faculty chair for the program in the coming months.

Nye could not be reached for comment this week.

The program will draw Pakistani officials from all levels of government, ministries and smaller political groups.

But Zimmerman said he doubts that any Harvard staff will make the trip to Pakistan.

“We are concerned about safety,” Zimmerman said. “We do not want to do anything to put our personnel at risk.”

In the past, the Kennedy School has run similar programs with Russia, Israel, the Ukraine and most recently China, which sent government officials to Harvard last summer.

In 1954, Pakistan was actually the first of such programs. But the University’s relationship with Pakistan had faltered in recent years, due to diplomatic conflicts between the two countries, Zimmerman said.

Musharraf’s visit to Harvard in September signified a change in the relationship, he said.

“[Pakistan] is a country trying to move in the right direction,” Zimmerman said. “If we can make a small difference, we ought to try.”