HUPD Arrests Somerville Resident For Campus Burglary

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) arrested a Somerville resident on Feb. 15 for the burglary of a Harvard graduate school residence.

Kevin Murphy, 19, who is not affiliated with the University, allegedly broke into an apartment in the Beckwith Circle graduate student housing complex on Feb. 13, HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano said.

Murphy tried to enter the apartment through the back door, but occupants called police, Catalano said. Murphy then fled the scene without stealing anything.

Police officers responded to the scene and stopped Murphy in a nearby parking lot. During a subsequent interview conducted in the parking lot, Murphy provided the police with false information and then fled the scene, according to Catalano.

HUPD worked with the witnesses to create a composite sketch and continued its investigation.

Two days later, their investigation led them to Murphy’s residence at 53 Dickerson St., which was close to the scene of the burglary, where they arrested him without incident, Catalano said.

“It was good work by the officers who responded and good detective work,” he added.

On the same day that the Beckwith Circle burglary occurred, HUPD investigated the theft of a television and VCR in the Beckwith Circle common room.

However, for the time being, HUPD does not believe the two events are related, Catalano said, but the investigation is continuing.

“I don’t think there’s any kind of pattern or connection, but we don’t know for sure,” Catalano said.

Murphy was arraigned yesterday in Middlesex County District Court, according to Catalano. Details of the arraignment from the District Attorney’s Office were not available as of press time last night.

—Staff writer Jenifer L. Steinhardt can be reached at steinhar@fas.harvard.edu.