M. Lacrosse Stays Perfect with 10-8 Win Over Stags

Junior long pole defender JOE NEJMAN (L), a transfer from Notre Dame a year ago, rushes upfield in Harvard’s 10-8 win over Fairfeld at Jordan Field on Saturday.
By Rahul Rohatgi, Crimson Staff Writer

Another balanced offensive attack gave the Harvard men’s lacrosse team its fourth straight win of the season on Saturday afternoon at Jordan Field.

Junior attackman Jay Wich and freshman Mike McBride each scored two goals in leading the Crimson to a 10-8 victory over the visiting Fairfield Stags (2-2).

It was the Stags who came out firing, however, as Fairfield took a 2-0 lead on consecutive goals by Tom Werney in the first five minutes.

Harvard was not able to find the net for another five minutres after Werney’s second score. Once it did, though, Harvard couldn’t be stopped.

McBride opened Harvard’s scoring, taking a pass from junior attacker Matt Primm and putting the Crimson on the board.

Harvard was able to tie things up before the end of the first quarter on a nifty unassisted goal from co-captain midfielder James Christian.

By that time, the flow of the game was in the Crimson’s favor, especially with the Harvard defense—anchored by senior Mike Packard and junior Andrew Crocco—limiting Fairfield’s scoring opportunities.

At the 8:50 mark of the second quarter, Primm notched his second point of the game with an unassisted goal that gave Harvard the lead, 3-2. The Crimson would never relinquish this advantage.

Harvard scored once again a few minutes later and then closed out the half with its fifth straight unanswered goal. On that play, co-captain Michael Baly’s shot was blocked by Fairfield goalie C.J. Kemp, but the ensuing ground ball was picked up by senior midfielder Derek Nowak. He then found the back of the net to push the Crimson advantage to 5-2 by the break.

The three-goal halftime lead also the impressive play of sophomore goalie Jake McKenna, who had not allowed a goal in nearly 25 minutes entering the weekend. He had seven saves by halftime.

“[McKenna] did a great job today. Our defense plays to his strengths,” Harvard coach Scott Anderson said. “So we’ll give up the 10 and 12-yard shots but not the closer ones. We’ve narrowed our defensive parameters this year.”

Both teams found more scoring chances in the second half but the Crimson held Fairfield at bay. The Stags had cut the lead to 6-4 midway through the third quarter, but Wich’s first goal of the day—from directly in front of the goal off a nice feed from Nowak—started a 3-0 Crimson run. When McBride picked up an unassisted goal at of the third, Harvard had its biggest lead of the day at 9-4.

The Crimson’s flurry of goals was largely a result of Fairfield turnovers and Harvard’s ability to scoop up ground balls.

“Our man on the face-offs, [sophomore] Alex Vap, did a good job,” Anderson said. “He got us repetitive possessions.”

Fairfield attempted to make one last run before the game ended. Specifically, attacker Matt Buecker took matters into his own hands.

A few minutes after McBride’s score, Buecker took a pass from teammate Rory McCarthy and shoveled a low ball past McKenna. Then, with 2:55 left in the third quarter, Fairfield attackman Troy Bamann found Buecker, who fired in another successful attempt on goal.

Buecker added his fourth of the day to close the gap to 9-7 when he scored at 5:25 into the last quarter.

But the Crimson shut down the rest of the Stags players and barely flinched at the end. Packard helped on several good clears late in the game, and the stickwork of junior midfielder Doug Logigian enabled the Crimson to run out the clock. Wich had a goal with 2:43 left for the final Crimson tally.

Noting his team’s constant pressure in the Fairfield zone Saturday, Anderson pointed out the simple reason for Harvard’s success.

“The strength of our team is athleticism,” he said.

The final statistics bore that out. Harvard finished with a 34-28 shot advantage and also held an impressive 38-20 edge in ground balls.

McKenna finished with 11 saves.

Harvard takes its undefeated record on the road Wednesday, when it travels to Worcester, Mass., for a 7 p.m. contest against Holy Cross.

M. Lacrosse 10, Fairfield 8

At Jordan Field, Allston, MA

Fairfield (2-2) 2 0 3 3 — 8

Harvard (4-0) 2 3 4 1 — 10

Scoring: Fairfield Goals: Werney 3, Buecher 4, Bamann 1. Fairfield Assists: Bamann 1, McCarthy 2, Scipioni 1. Harvard Goals: Wich 2, McBride 2, Gottschall 1, Nowak 1, Primm 1, Christian 1, Baly 1, Nejman 1. Harvard Assists: Gottschall 1, Nowak 1, Primm 1, Logigian 1, Vap 1. Shots: F 28, H 34. Saves: F Kemp 14, H McKenna 11. Ground Balls: F 20, H 38. Faceoffs: F 11, H 12. Extra Man: F 0/2, H 0/3.