Top Officials Discuss Black Sea Security

By Emily M. Anderson, Contributing Writer

Four prominent national security leaders of former Soviet states met yesterday to discuss the status of security in the Black Sea region at the Kennedy School of Government (KSG).

Gen. Victor Bannykh, Secretary of State for International Cooperation of Ukraine, Gen. Victor Gaiciue, Minister of Defense of Moldova, Ambassador Armen Kirakossian from Armenia, and Gen. David Tevzadze, Minister of Defense of Georgia took part in the panel.

Each panelist gave the audience a synopsis of his country’s stance in current security affairs before the panel fielded questions about anti-terrorism and peacekeeping efforts, international cooperation and globalization, and North Atlantic Trade Organization (NATO).

Bannykh questioned U.S. military policy in Afghanistan.

“The U.S. should use to a maximum degree the experience and mistakes of the Soviets in Afghanistan,” he said, calling the 1979 Soviet invasion a war which “the Soviet Union did not win.”

Bannykh called for U.S. cooperation in peace-keeping efforts in the Black Sea region, particularly in the conflict in Kosovo.

Kirakossian also spoke about military conflict.

“Regional conflicts represent a threat to stability and economic development in the entire region,” he said.

Tevzadze warned that the lack of Eurasian involvement in globalization efforts would create a threat.

According to Bannykh, Ukrainian national security leaders will meet in 15 days to discuss the Ukraine’s role in NATO.

“Ukraine is very serious about expanding cooperation with the Alliance,” he said.

Armenia also wants to expand relations with Western Europe, according to Kirakossian.

“Armenia aspires to join European institutions,” he said, delivering a speech written by Serge Sargysyan, Armenian Minister of Defense, who could not attend the panel.

Moderator Graham Allison, director of the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at KSG, asked the panelists to point out U.S. mistakes in policy toward the represented countries and regions.

Kirakossian called for “more U.S. attention towards Armenian-Turkish relations.”

He urged the U.S. to keep equal relations with both countries.

Gaiciue had similar hopes for U.S. policy toward Moldova.

Moldova wishes the “U.S. government would evaluate the political situation in Moldova more objectively,” he said.

Tevzadze refused to criticize U.S. policy towards Georgia.