Gomes, Pomey Denied ’02 Degrees

By Amit R. Paley, Crimson Staff Writer

Randy J. Gomes and Suzanne M. Pomey—former members of the Class of 2002 who allegedly embezzled almost $100,000 from the Hasty Pudding Theatricals—will not receive a degree from the College on Thursday, a college official said yesterday.

Even after their Jan. 11 indictment for grand larceny, Gomes and Pomey continued to attend classes, live in their Winthrop House dorms and appear at various campus social events this semester—leading to speculation that the two might graduate with the rest of their class.

But the college official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that their names are not on the list of degree recipients approved by the Faculty yesterday.

“A student may not receive a degree before a pending disciplinary case is resolved,” reads a section of The Administrative Board of Harvard College: A Guide for Students that the official referred to in order to explain the decision.

Secretary of the Ad Board David B. Fithian refused to comment on disciplinary cases of specific students. Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis ’68 declined comment as well.

Both Pomey and Gomes have pled not guilty to the indictment’s single charge of larceny over $250. They are due in court again on June 11 for a hearing, although no trial date has been set.

Although Gomes has been keeping a low-profile on campus, Pomey has been spotted at several senior-only social events during the past week.

She attended the ‘Last Chance’ Dance at The Roxy last Wednesday and the Booze Cruise on Sunday night, according to seniors at the events.

Last week, Pomey’s name was signed under the “graduating students” section of the petition criticizing the commencement speech of Zayed M. Yasin ’02.

—Staff writer Amit R. Paley can be reached at paley@fas.harvard.edu.