Finally Healthy, Field Hockey Goes on the Attack

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard field hockey team’s steady ascent since the construction of Jordan Field in 1999 may have suffered a slight lapse when the team failed to make NCAAs last year. But auspicious events in this year’s offseason—in contrast to the slew of injuries at last year’s outset—leave the Crimson equipped to surpass the achievements of the 2000 NCAA qualifying team.

Reaching such uncharted heights is a day-by-day process, one that begins with this afternoon’s season and home opener against Vermont at 4 p.m. and Sunday’s Ivy opener at Penn.

If the Harvard players simply show up at the opener without any season-ending injuries, they’ll already be miles ahead of their status last season, when leading returning scorer Kate McDavitt and then-captain Jane Park were never healthy, and goalkeeper Katie Zacarian was never at full strength.

Now, McDavitt is back after more than a year of rehab on her damaged kneecap, and Zacarian is healthier. Though McDavitt has still kept an every-other-day practice schedule, she’ll be game-ready.

And while McDavitt’s progress is a big boost to the Crimson, equally favorable news is her sister Jen McDavitt’s arrival at Harvard. The presence of the younger McDavitt, a much sought-after recruit from the U-18 U.S. national team, and her now-healthy elder sister should bring returns far beyond what either of them could achieve by themselves.

Combine that with the impact of five freshmen and the natural improvement of the upperclassmen and the team has a combination of depth, versatility and talent that’s unmatched in recent Crimson history.

“They’re all going to play,” Harvard coach Sue Caples said. “Everyone on this team can contribute.”

One difference between this year’s team and last year’s stems from the graduation of three seniors in the backfield, though First Team All-Ivy, captain and team MVP Katie Scott still remains. To make up for the other losses, Caples expects to move Jen Ahn—Harvard’s other First Team All-Ivy representative—to the backfield. That move alone changes the dynamic of the team.

“We’re going to play very attacking hockey from all positions this year,” Caples said. “We have that athleticism, that speed and most of their experience is in the midfield, or forward—not back. We’re going to play great individual defense when we don’t have the ball. We’re going to attack.”

Caples also says to expect a much-improved penalty corner attack, which is a necessity to field a competitive team at the national level. Kate McDavitt, junior Liz Andrews and sophomore Shelley Maasdorp are all lethal on direct shots, and the Crimson will continue to use Scott on the option.

The team’s nonconference schedule has a special twist—a challenging opponent coming to Jordan Field in ACC power Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons, who eliminated the Crimson in the 2000 NCAAs, stand to be the toughest nonconference challenge.

Within the league, Princeton is the favorite as usual. The Tigers have won eight straight Ivy titles. Harvard has been runner-up each of the past two seasons.

Winning the Ivy title this year would be especially sweet for Harvard, given that it hasn’t happened since 1991.

“Being part of a team that’s up-and-coming, it’s a challenge,” said Jen McDavitt. “It’s a little bit more rewarding to have built up. It’s your team and you did the work.”

—Staff writer David R. De Remer may be reached at remer@fas.harvard.edu.