Athlete of the Week: Carl Morris '03

Morris Puts Crusaders to the Sword

By Samita Mannapperuma, Contributing Writer

For an instant in the fourth quarter, senior Carl Morris looked more like a menacing offensive lineman rather than the dexterous and agile receiver who has destroyed opposing secondaries for years.

With a quick and powerful block just off the line of scrimmage, Morris opened up a running lane that enabled sophomore quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to rush for ten yards on a crucial third down late in the game. This spectacular play was just one of many for the All-American receiver, who had 11 catches for 210 yards and two touchdowns in Harvard’s season-opening win against Holy Cross.

A breathtaking 60-yard score in the second quarter, as well as a 34-yard strike in the third, highlighted yet another outstanding performance. Morris exposed the Crusaders’ defense all afternoon, running several quick and well-timed patterns that made him an easy target for Crimson quarterbacks Neil Rose and Fitzpatrick.

Morris’ total receiving yards for the game was the third-best in school history, while his reception total placed him fourth among Harvard leaders in that category.

In addition to his many deft catches, Morris also rushed for 9 yards and returned a punt for a 14-yard gain. Yesterday, the Sports Network rewarded Morris for his solid all-around performance by naming him the Division 1-AA Offensive Player of the Week. Morris holds eight school records and is currently the national leader in reception yards per game. He is also a contender for the Payton Award, given to the country’s top 1-AA player at the end of the each season.

Despite all the individual accolades he has received, Morris remains a team player, praising his teammates following the win.

“We played solid on both sides of the ball,” Morris said. “It was a big win for the team as far as getting a good start to the season.”

Indeed, Saturday was a very good start to the season, as the 28-23 victory marks Harvard’s tenth in a row. The Crimson is now gearing up for its league opener as it travels to Brown this Saturday to face the Bears. If last weekend was any indicator of what to expect in the coming weeks, Crimson fans are in for a thrilling and memorable run at the Ivy League title.