Dormroom Dialogue

Farley on Christina Hometown: A small town in Minnesota—everything here seems simple and organized. Single or attached? She’s probably in

Farley on Christina

Hometown: A small town in Minnesota—everything here seems simple and organized.

Single or attached? She’s probably in some sort of sexual relationship. She has all those pictures of herself with a lot of people, so maybe she’s in some sort of love triangle.

Her decorating philosophy: She likes to keep it neat, clean and organized. The matching couches and the decked-out window seat say it all. Looking at her closet, she could be Goth because of all the black clothing she has. And a lot of her accessories are black too. But it’s so organized in here that I almost feel like I’m in a museum!

Typical Saturday night: After several hours of getting ready in front of the huge-ass cosmetic mirror, she might head out to an a cappella concert or an ice cream bash. I don’t really see her as the partying type.

In her CD player: Bette Midler’s greatest hits.

How did she spend her summer? Babysitting for triplets or doing something that requires organization and dedication. She tried to tan but failed and she was clearly flossing a lot. She’s straight and clean—she was probably “most likely to succeed” in her high school class.

Her morning primp time: At least five or six hours before class starts because she needs to shower, get ready in front of the mirror and straighten up before she leaves.

Her favorite place to study: She enjoys studying on the floral comforter on her bed. The top bunk is a good studying atmosphere.

Her favorite clothing store: I’m sure the Gap has the answers to all her clothing needs. Then again, if she is Goth, maybe Oona’s is the way she swings.

Freshman week: liked it or hated it? She loved it because it gave her a chance to explore all the fun opportunities at Harvard.

How do you think she will identify socially over the next four years? She might be a full-on IM hardass. Or she might do a cappella. For some reason I really see her as a singer.

Christina on Christina

Hometown: Bartlesville, Okla.

Concentration: Physics, economics or government.

Single or attached? Single.

Your decorating philosophy: Making the most of the beautiful space we have. We tried to allow for several comfortable study locations, and fun places to sit around and talk.

A typical Saturday night: Hanging out with my roommates and other friends, going to social events with the best entryway ever (Matthews Southies!), playing Ultimate or watching movies.

In your CD player: A burned CD that includes Righteous Brothers, show tunes and Disney songs

How did you spend the summer? I was a counselor at the Research Science Institute at MIT.

Your morning primp time: About 20 minutes

Your favorite place to study: Our window seat or in bed.

Your favorite clothing store: Express.

Freshman week: liked it or hated it? Loved it!

How do you see yourself identifying socially the next four years: I hope to be able to have many groups of friends interested in different things.

Christina on Farley

Hometown: Definitely Texas, because of the flag above his bed. Probably a big city, maybe the Dallas-Fort Worth area. He seems to know what’s going on in a big city kind of way.

Concentration: He’s economics—it’s a general concentration and his books aren’t in any one specific field.

Single or attached? Single. It looks like he enjoys his magazines for men.

Decorating philosophy: He wanted a fun place to hang out with good music and food. He represents his state pride and he is definitely showing what interests him. He sticks with things he likes. He put effort into decorating and organizing enough so that it’s comfortable but he doesn’t obsess about keeping it clean.

A typical Saturday night: Whatever he thought would be fun at the time. He’s definitely spontaneous. Partying would not be completely out of the picture, based on the beverages in the common room. He’ll do whatever.

In his CD player: A burned mix of all his favorite songs. He’s more into rock from the ’60s and ’70s, and maybe punk rock. But definitely not pop or my kind of music (show tunes).

How did he spend his summer? He was in his hometown working and hanging out with his friends on the weekend, and he spent some time with his family.

His morning primp time: Five to 10 minutes, tops. He probably showers, brushes his teeth, combs his hair, gets dressed and just goes.

His favorite place to study: Definitely his room, on his bed. It looks comfortable and he probably feels at home there.

His favorite clothing store: His mom shops for him, but he does like a wide variety of stores.

Freshman week—liked it or hated it? It looks like he would make the best out of any situation, so I bet he liked it.

How do you see him identifying socially in the next four years? He’ll probably be involved in a multitude of activities, definitely at least club-level athletics. He’s a partyer and he likes to hang out with his suitemates and other random people.

Farley on Farley

Hometown: San Antonio, Texas.

Concentration: Possibly economics.

Single or attached? Single.

Your decorating philosophy: Cover my room in stuff that will scare me when I wake up in the middle of the night drunk and unsure of where I am. Also, use duct tape to make giant dollar signs on all the windows.

A typical Saturday night: I like to start things out early at the G-spot [Greenough] and pre-game the evening a bit with some fellow Greeners. Then it’s always fun to get straight hammered and make an ass of myself in front of some strangers. Or my crew and I like to go to some of the other freshmen dorms or upperclass houses and yuk it up there.

In your CD player: Built to Spill.

How did you spend your summer? I mostly helped out the community—for six weeks I worked as a telemarketer with Sprint, ensuring higher standards of living for everyone.

Your morning primp time: I usually don’t spend too much time “primping” in the morning, unless taking a crap counts as primping.

Your favorite place to study: I like to study on the can. I know this might sound a little strange, but there’s no better thinking position than the crap-squat.

Your favorite clothing store: I rep for A&F since 1869, fool. If you ain’t rockin’ the ’Crombie you be straight trippin’.

Freshman week—liked it or hated it? I thought it was great. Pre-gaming Dean Nye’s “lay down the law” speech was the highlight of my week. I’m not sure why, but during the speech I found her wide shoulders and robot-like voice very erotic, sexually.

How do you see yourself identifying socially the next four years? I’m not sure. The guys at the Lampoon seem to have things pretty well figured out, so I’ve been trying to draw something funny to get on staff. We’ll see.

In The Meantime