W. Volleyball Tops Big Green, Maine To Win Dartmouth Invitational

By Paul B. Souder, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard women’s volleyball team won its second and third straight matches in a row this weekend to claim the Dartmouth Invitational title.

The Crimson (4-6, 1-0 Ivy) won both matches convincingly, including its Ivy opener against the host Big Greeen.

Harvard rallied over Maine (4-10) and Dartmouth (3-7, 0-1) despite the loss of sophomore outside hitter Pernilla Schweitzer. Schweitzer was injured during warm-ups last Wednesday.

“We have a lot of players who are willing to fill in,” said sophomore middle hitter Kaego Ogbechie. “It shows the depth of our team. We have a lot of options and are all comfortable playing with each other.”

Both Ogbechie and captain Mindy Jellin were named to the All-Tournament Team after outstanding performances.

Harvard plays again this Friday at 7 p.m. when it matches up with Dartmouth to kick off the annual Crimson Classic.

Harvard 3, Maine 0

The Crimson turned two consecutive victories into a streak, dismantling Maine in three games. Referees and short stoppages tested Harvard’s patience, as the game got off to a sluggish start.

“We like to play fast-paced volleyball, Ogbechie said. “The game was slow, but we responded really well. By the second set, we were just playing our game.”

Natalie Miller stepped up in place of the injured Schweitzer, recording a match-high 20 digs.

“Natalie did a great job. She was playing a position that she doesn’t normally play, and she came up big for us,” said Pospisil.

Junior outside hitter Allison Bendush played an all-around solid game, putting together a double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs.

Harvard 3, Dartmouth 0

On Friday, the Crimson opened the Dartmouth Invitational with a sweep of the host Big Green.

The match was never in doubt, as Harvard emerged victorious in every game (30-22, 30-26, 35-33).

“[We] controlled the pace the entire time,” said junior Mariah Pospisil.

The victory was the team’s second of the season, an important one both in terms of chemistry and experience.

“We’re feeling more comfortable now that we have some matches under our belt,” said Pospisil. “We played calm and collected.”

Ogbechie led the offensive attack, registering 22 kills and 16 digs. Setter Jellin tallied 44 assists and 23 digs.

“Mindy was unbelievable,” said Ogbechie. “She was able to get the ball to you regardless of where it was.”

The Crimson’s recent success gives it confidence that it can improve upon its recent slow start and its 3-11 Ivy record last season.

“[The tournament] was a great way to start our Ivy League conquest,” said Ogbechie.

“We can play with anyone,” she added.

—Contributing writer Paul B. Souder can be reached at souder@fas.harvard.edu.