Pudding Taps Huston, Scorsese

By Faryl Ury, Crimson Staff Writer

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals has selected actress Anjelica Huston and famed director Martin Scorsese to receive the annual Woman and Man of the Year Awards, the group announced on Monday.

“Addams Family” star Huston and “Gangs of New York” director Scorsese will travel to Harvard Square this February to receive their “pudding pot” awards and kick off the run of the group’s 155th original musical, “It’s a Wonderful Afterlife.”

Theatricals’ spokesperson Joanna S.B. O’Leary ’04 said Huston and Scorsese were chosen because they “are both very distinguished, respected people in the film industry and have consistently done noteworthy films and very respected work in Hollywood.”

The Theatricals honors two actors every year for their “lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment” with a good-natured “roast,” presentation of the pudding pot and a performance of the Theatricals’ original show.

As Woman of the Year, Huston will also lead a parade through the streets of Harvard Square on February 6th, accompanied by a dozen company members dressed lavishly in drag.

The 40-minute parade will end at the Hasty Pudding Theater on Holyoke Street, where the cast will preview several numbers from “It’s a Wonderful Afterlife.”

On February 13, the Theatricals will parody Scorsese before premiering the full show.

The stars will also offer advice to the members of the Theatricals after receiving their pots.

Co-producer Robin O. Potts ’04 said Huston and Scorsese were chosen for their lifetime achievements in the film industry.

“They are real class acts and their credits speak for themselves,” Potts said.

Huston most recently starred in “The Royal Tenenbaums” and “Bloodwork.”

She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in “Prizzi’s Honor.”

“Her ability to play a wide variety of roles effectively and compellingly, that is what has captivated audiences,” O’Leary said.

Scorsese has directed and produced noteworthy films including “Taxi Driver,” “New York, New York,” “The Color of Money” and “Casino.”

Scorsese was nominated for Best Director Academy Awards for “Raging Bull” and “The Last Temptation of Christ.”

Last week, Scorsese won the Best Director Golden Globe award for “Gangs of New York,” which received five nominations.

“He is known for putting a really personal touch on all his films,” O’Leary said. “Each one is an elaborately constructed cinematic piece of art.”

The Pudding established the Woman of the Year award in 1951 and the Man of the Year award in 1963.

Sarah Jessica Parker and Bruce Willis received pudding pots last year. Other past winners include Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Julia Roberts, Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford.

Written, directed, and acted by undergraduates, “It’s A Wonderful Afterlife” is the 155th Pudding show.

The 13-member cast will perform the 40 times in a run that takes them from Cambridge to New York and Bermuda.

Staff writer Faryl W. Ury can be reached at ury@fas.harvard.edu.