M. Swimming Topples No. 18 Pittsburgh, Varies Lineup To Beat Navy

By Jessica T. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s swimming and diving team started 2003 on the right foot, claiming wins over Pittsburgh and Navy this weekend.

“I was happy with the confidence we swam with,” co-captain Dan Shevchik said. “Since we lost the conference meet last year, I think we lost a little of our swagger, so it was great to see guys walking around [yesterday] with their heads held high.”

Harvard’s next meet is at Brown on Jan. 25.

Harvard 139, Pittsburgh 104

After seeing depth charts and sprint times, the Crimson (3-0, 1-0) swimmers knew that No. 18 Pittsburgh would provide stiff competition yesterday.

“Going in, we really thought it was going to be a dogfight,” Shevchik said.

But Harvard bit first, taking both first and second places in the opening event, the 200 medley relay.

“I think the first event set the tone,” Shevchik said. “When we went 1-2 in the relay, I honestly thought the meet was over right there.”

Junior Jon Cole followed up with a win in the 1000 free, which he later matched in the 500 free. Shevchik was also a double winner, with victories in the 200 IM and 200 backstroke.

Junior Rassan Grant contributed a first-place finish in the 200 breaststroke and placed second in the 200 IM. Junior James Lawler added another of the Crimson’s eight wins in the 200 fly, followed by sophomore Ryan Smith in second.

“The time was two seconds off my best, but after a week of hard training, it’s to be expected that we’ll be off our best times,” Lawler said.

After a fast time in the exhibition yesterday, freshman David Cromwell provided a repeat performance against the Panthers, taking first in the 200 free while co-captain Cory Walker earned second.

“I train with Dave all the time and he’s a hard worker, so I’m never surprised when he puts a good time on the board,” Shevchik said.

Harvard 169, Navy 73

With its upcoming battle against Pittsburgh in mind, the Crimson took advantage of its speed and depth in mixing up its lineup against Navy on Saturday. Swimmers took a breather from their usual contests, yet Harvard still found success across the board.

“It’s just fun to watch guys do something that they’ve never done before,” Shevchik said.

Lawler took first in the 400 IM, his first time racing the event in college.

Senior Ben Hanley won two events, the 1650- and 500 free, while sophomore Scott Metcalf contributed a win in the 200 backstroke.

Junior Enrique Roy took first in the one-meter diving event, followed by freshman Danil Rybalko. The pair flip-flopped in the three-meter event.

The Crimson took the top four spots in the 200 free, with Walker in first and Shevchik second. Shevchik also took first in the 200 breaststroke, and was just edged by Cole in the 200 fly.

Harvard also owned the top four spots in the 200 fly, though all four were strangers to the event.

—Staff writer Jessica T. Lee can be reached at lee45@fas.harvard.edu.