W. Hoops Bites Into Colgate

Peljto, position changes brush away Raiders in victory

By Evan R. Johnson, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s basketball team mopped the floor with its last nonleague opponent of the season last night at Lavietes Pavilion, defeating Colgate 69-54 to extend its win streak to three.

The Raiders (5-7) were in front for only 1:22 before the Crimson (9-4, 1-0 Ivy) went on a 11-2 run. Colgate tied the game at 13:44, but that was as close to victory as the Raiders would come, as Harvard closed out the half 38-25. The Crimson maintained a substantial lead throughout the rest of the game.

Harvard’s domination was once again led by junior forward Hana Peljto, who finished the night with a double-double. Peljto posted 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds despite playing at less-than-peak health for 26 minutes.

Peljto sprained her MCL in Harvard’s loss to Boston College on December 15 and only returned to action in last Saturday’s game against Dartmouth.

Other Crimson stars on the night were sophomore center Reka Cserny, who finished with 10 points and four rebounds, and the ever-improving freshman guard Jessica Holsey. Holsey came off the bench to lead the team with four assists while scoring seven points.

“Jess was moved into the point guard spot,” Harvard coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said. “She’s a lot more comfortable in the 1 spot than she was in the 2, so I think we’re going to see a whole new Jessica Holsey from here on in.”

Harvard played a great offensive game, shooting a season-high 67.5 percent from the field. The previous mark was just 49 percent, against Boston University.

A lackadaisical Colgate offense also aided the Crimson’s victory.

The Raiders only shot 37.5 percent from the field after losing their leading scorer, sophomore guard Allison Lipinski (13.4 points per game), to a foot injury.

Still, Harvard was not satisfied with its defensive performance in a match when it gave up five treys.

“Our zone didn’t work as well as we thought it was going to work tonight,” Delaney-Smith said. “We had players who aren’t statistically strong three-point shooters shoot threes on us. So we stayed mostly [man-to-man].”

Colgate’s looks to the outside were due in part to the Crimson defense’s domination down low. Harvard outscored the Raiders 30-16 in the paint and nearly doubled the number of Colgate rebounds in the first half, 17-9.

Harvard also benefited from junior guard Dirkje Dunham’s ability to adapt to her new position.

“We moved Dirkje to the 2, and Dirkje had an outstanding game,” Delaney-Smith said. “I think that is so valuable, for a team to have someone who can switch so easily.”

Dunham came off the bench to grab four boards and score six points.

Last night’s contest was Harvard’s last scheduled non-Ivy game of the season, and the team feels prepared for tough conference competition after its early-season performance.

“By our record, it looks like we’ve won the games we were supposed to win, and lost the ones we were supposed to lose,” Peljto said. “But going in to the Ivy League season I think we can get a lot better. We’re going to have to because we’re the No. 1 team, and everyone is gunning for us.”

The Crimson will continue its Ivy play this weekend when it hosts Dartmouth (5-6, 0-1), who Harvard beat last weekend, 56-53, in Hanover.

Following the Big Green contest, the Crimson will head into a three-week break for exams, which has the team worried about its ability to maintain a rhythm.

“Our exams falling right in the middle of our conference play is really, really hard,” Delaney-Smith said. “But there are some advantages to it. It’s a long season, and it’s a much needed break.”

One such player who is welcoming the off-time is Peljto, who will get some much-needed rest for her hurting knee.

“It will be nice so that I can get some strength back from my injury ,” Peljto said.

—Staff writer Evan R. Johnson can be reached at erjohns@fas.harvard.edu