Second Is the Best

So you take the plunge and splurge on that super-cool “vintage” t-shirt from Urban Outfitters. Couple it with a pair
By A. HAVEN Thompson

So you take the plunge and splurge on that super-cool “vintage” t-shirt from Urban Outfitters. Couple it with a pair of laid-back jeans and flops and—voila—a perfect Saturday night ensemble. Until you walk in the ten-man and realize that five other kids are wearing your outfit and that your shopping strategy needs revamping.

Big time.

But where to go? Cambridge’s retail presence is limited at best, and those cute Newbury Street boutiques are—ahem—a bit on the pricey side. Yet there is another path. Think unique, think cheap, think freak—as in you freakin’ out on the dance floor while your adoring public tries to figure out where you picked up your one-of-a-kind threads/earrings/bag/shoes/lunchbox. Thrift, consignment, vintage…used fashion items are classified in many ways, but one thing is certain—used stuff is inexpensive, fun and gives ’em somethin’ to talk about. What else is fashion for?

Second Time Around (Boston)

176 Newbury Street, Boston

(617) 247-3504

Second Time Around (Cambridge)

8 Eliot Street, Cambridge

(617) 491-7185

Imagine a big sale at Nieman Marcus. Then imagine that the clothes have already been worn. That’s the gist of Second Time Around—an upscale consignment shop with branches in Boston and Cambridge carrying hot labels such as Seven (khakis, $72), Chaiken and Trina Turk. Passing under the radar of most Harvard students, the Cambridge store is a bargain shopper’s dream. Snag hot Diesel jeans for $52 and peruse the racks of upscale pants, skirts and blouses (all of which retailed for over $200). Both this and the Newbury store occasionally get shipments of overstock from high-end boutiques, and much of the merchandise still has the labels on it.

Other highlights of the store include its great bag collection (a perfect Ferragamo patent leather handbag for $108 and a cute, lime green Longchamps tote for $42) and its shoes (pearl-adorned Christian Dior stilettos for $102). Its faux handbag collection is peerless as well.

The Closet

175 Newbury Street (between Dartmouth and Exeter), Boston

(617) 536-1919

The Closet is the consignment shop for the style-conscious male. Finds include Thomas Pink, Donna Karan and Izod oxford shirts ranging from $24-$29, Ferragamo loafers for $66 and snazzy overcoats starting at $88. Stetsons are for sale for $88, and a drool-worthy, red velvet D&G blazer is $265.

Ladies, this is the place for Prada shoes (they had about 15 pairs, $44-$120) and authentic designer bags (Tod’s $495, Bally $65, Louis Vuitton $265).

Dress Rehearsal

252 Newbury Street, Boston

(617) 266-1113

Boston Magazine recently named Dress Rehearsal Boston’s Best Consignment Shop. According to the store’s cashier, Dress Rehearsal is “a little more boutiquified” than the average consignment shop. Instead of only accepting high-end labels, she says, they will “take whatever we think is aesthetically appealing.” A great MaxMara wrap dress is priced at $210, and a cream-colored, cashmere Fendi dress at $300. The store’s strongest point is its friendly service.

Le Bon Marche

10 Arrow Street, Cambridge

Le Bon Marche is a diamond in the Cambridge rough for any accessory-hound. The owner, who has leased the store for 11 years, is a jeweler by trade, and her carefully selected collection is focused mainly on art-deco ’20s jewelry and evening bags. The store carries men’s and women’s clothes, but they tend—both price- and style-wise—toward an older audience (think tapered jeans and suits).

Dollar a Pound Plus

200 Broadway, Cambridge

(617) 876-1122

At 9 a.m., a forklift drops a huge “bale of clothes” on the shop’s floor and the fun commences. But wading through masses of clothes is just the beginning—belts, bags and “bric-a-brac” (miscellaneous tableware and random objects) are also up for grabs. After you have selected your items, the cashier weighs them and charges you $1.50 per pound (75 cents per pound for bric-a-brac). Alternatively, you can peruse the collection of used records ($3), CDs and tapes.

For the would-be pole dancer, the store also sells a wide variety of new pleather go-go boots, ranging from $34- $54. To round it out, you can peruse an assortment of movies ($3), books (25 cents) and, naturally, an extensive (emphasis on the “extensive”) Kung Fu DVD collection.

Planet Aid (Boston)

306 Newbury Street, Boston

(617) 262-9337

Planet Aid (Cambridge)

30 JFK Street, Cambridge

(617) 354-6413

After visiting the fancy-schmancy Newbury Street consignment shops with their Newbury Street prices, Planet Aid’s hip, laid-back vibe is a welcome break. Cool vintage t-shirts and polos start at $14, ’70s-style windbreakers are $20 and up and convienently broken-in hoodies are $20.

The store doubles as a non-profit organization—all proceeds support development programs in Africa and Latin America. Splurging on that awesome ’70s down vest ($35) really will make the world—and not just your world—a better place.

The Cambridge Planet Aid doesn’t give off the same warm, fuzzy, “all-you-need-is-love” vibes as its Boston branch, but it still has its perks. Racks of funky, bright, vintage dresses ($12 and up) are worth hunting through. The sweater section has its share of Fair Isle wool sweaters ($22) if you feel like channeling your preppy side, and a designer section sells familiar labels for nice n’ low prices ($8 for dress pants).

Oona’s

1210 Mass. Avenue, Cambridge

(617) 491-2654

Oona’s is what a vintage store should be. Its merchandise is fun and cheap, its staff is friendly, and it’s got history—its owner, Kathleen White, has been in the business since 1972, when Oona’s (named after her daughter) first opened. The dress section spans all sorts of decades—pick up a ’50s party dress or a quintessentially tacky ’80s prom dress, all for $20 and up. Accessories-wise, this shop has got it going on—bangle bracelets start at $1, crazy glittery sunglasses go for $8 and cool, huge vintage earrings and brooches start at $3.

The hottest menswear sellers are Oona’s extensive Western ($15+), Hawaiian ($12+) and bowling shirt collections. Oona’s also offers “costume consulting” for those in search of the perfect Halloween statement.

The Garment District

200 Broadway, Cambridge

(617) 354-5279

This is the vintage store to end all vintage stores. Racks and racks of clothes fill a warehouse-sized room. A plethora of label-less dresses (all under $20) tempt even the most frugal consumer with a range of options—there are Jackie-O dresses, Pucci-esque prints, ’80s party dresses, brocades, silks, sequins, lace and much more. If you are running off to Reno you can even pick up an economical wedding dress ($14).

The Garment District also sells new pre-fab outfits, including sexy German barmaid dresses ($44), hula skirts and Renaissance Sorceress ensembles ($35).

Goodwill

230 Elm Street, Somerville, Mass.

(617) 628-3618

All right, kids. This thrift mecca is not for the faint of heart, but if you grit your teeth, breathe through your mouth and hound around like an airport security pooch, you will come back to Cambridge with cool finds that bring new meaning to the word cheap. Awesome vintage t-shirts are organized by color and go for $1.99. This is the place for DeWolfies to outfit their sweet kitchenettes—glasses and cups are 50 cents, and plates are $1.

Poor Little Rich Girl

416 Highland Avenue, Somerville, Mass.

(617) 684-0157

Clever name aside, Poor Little Rich Girl has a fine assortment of consigned clothing for reasonable prices. The selection is aimed at the more mature female customer, but it does carry some trendy labels, like Earl Jean (jean blazer, $70) and Theory (jeans, $20). Great tweed dressy coats from the ’50s start at $52, and you can pick up some Sigerson Morrison slingbacks for $44.

The store’s forte is definitely its collection of vintage bags ($20 and up), which are scattered throughout the store and are mainly from the ’50s and ’60s. Very cool framed photos and prints ($20 and up) would make great presents.