Lean and Limber :: Yoga Up

Stretch your horizons with a five thousand year old fitness trend that is practiced all over Cambridge. Prepare for Sun
By C. E. Jampel

Stretch your horizons with a five thousand year old fitness trend that is practiced all over Cambridge. Prepare for Sun Salutations in front of John Harvard every morning and look forward to a toned and flexible physique.

Malkin Athletic Center, Harvard University

The good ol’ MAC offers free yoga for all undergraduates, with 12 classes each week. Just pick up a pass on entry. Unfortunately, however, the 60-minute classes may leave true yoga buffs unfulfilled.

Price: Zero dollars, zero cents, unbeatable.

Remember: Bring your own mat.

39 Holyoke St., http://gocrimson.ocsn.com/ot/fall_recreation_classes.html, (617) 495-4838

Karma Yoga Studio

With over 40 classes a week and free use of equipment—including mats, blocks, straps, blankets and pillows—Karma Yoga Studio, conveniently located in Central Square, caters to all levels, with sessions ranging from “gentle” to “vigorous.” When the weather permits, teachers sometimes hold outdoor classes in a back courtyard.

Price: $10 drop-in class, $90 for a 10 class pass, both with student ID. 1132 Mass. Ave., http://karmayogastudio.com, (617) 547-YOGA

Yoga in Harvard Square

Held in the University Lutheran Church, Yoga in Harvard Square has only a limited selection of classes. The Kripalu-influenced studio concentrates on the holistic, meditative benefits of yoga in order to bring the body and the mind together. Perfect for a less physically strenuous workout, with a calming atmosphere—large windows during the day and a candlelit room in the evening.

Price: $17 per class, $90 for a 6-week session

66 Winthrop St., www.yogainharvardsquare.com, (617) 864-YOGA

Baptiste Power Yoga

Winner of the Best of Boston award three years in a row, this Porter Square studio “asks beginners to complete 10 classes in 3 weeks.” Offering over 30 classes a week, the not-so-faint of heart can challenge themselves in a 90-degree room. Think of this as the new yoga—the main instructor named the studio after himself.

Price: $10 w/ student ID, $1 mat rental

2000 Mass. Ave., www.baronbaptiste.com, (617) 661-YOGA