Women's Ice Hockey Blanks Providence

Ali Boe shines for No. 3 Crimson while Julie Chu and Angela Ruggiero return

By Pablo S. Torre, Contributing Writer

On Veterans Day, sophomore goalie Ali Boe gave the women of Providence’s ice hockey team something else to remember.

Boe notched her second career shutout as No. 3 Harvard (3-0-0) blanked the No. 6 Friars (1-2-2) by a score of 3-0 yesterday night.

The victory marks the first time in program history that Providence has been shut out. In fact, thanks to the weekend trouncing of lowly Union, Harvard has not allowed an opposing goal this season, outscoring its foes 27-0.

And with the way Boe played tonight—recording 19 crucial saves in 60 flawless minutes between the pipes—the team has reason to be optimistic about its chances.

“I feel like Boey stood on her head tonight,” junior forward Nicole Corriero said. “She hadn’t really been tested up to this year, but she has shown that she’s definitely up to the challenge. Providence had good scoring chances early on and in the third period, but she just remained calm and composed and stopped what we counted on her to stop. Against Providence, that’s not an easy thing to do.”

Corriero, herself, continued her own personal hot streak, tallying two more goals—the first and last scores of the game—to go along with nine goals racked up against Union.

Corriero said that she felt compelled to step up in the absence of the team’s two best players—co-captain defender Angela Ruggiero and sophomore forward Julie Chu—while they were away in Sweden with the U.S. National Team during the Crimson’s first two games.

But they returned for last night’s contest—with Ruggiero and Chu impressively combining for four assists and one goal—and Corriero seemed to pick up right where she left off.

“She’s just more relaxed this year, she has more confidence,” Ruggiero said. “She knows that the team is behind her, that she has her role as a goal scorer now. She’s definitely ready to lead this team in that department.”

Corriero, though, readily gives credit to the total effort her teammates have been churning out, both offensively and defensively.

“I don’t feel like I’m doing anything special,” Corriero said, commenting on the support of her linemates, especially in the gutsy win. “We’re a really hard working team, and going above and beyond the call of duty is just standard. I feel like I’m doing more in keeping up with my teammates than really trying to do anything that much different.”

Now, the team has a bit of a grace period before entering its upcoming two-game set against Niagara on November 22-23.

But yesterday’s victory—which coach Katey Stone describes as a less than pretty win—has by no means satiated a unit that has National Championship dreams.

“We’re going to brush up on the little things,” Corriero said. “Today’s win was promising and encouraging, but we have some work to do, with defensive zone coverage, touching up the power play—we only scored one power play goal—and special teams. This was a great starting point for us, and it’s good to have this little break.”

Harvard also looks forward to finally returning two more members of their team—freshman forward Katie Johnston and senior forward Mina Pell—by week’s end.

Women's Ice Hockey