W. Icers Chosen For National Training Camp

By John R. Hein, Crimson Staff Writer

A touch of Crimson will be displayed with the red. white and blue at the U.S. National Team Training Camp when three current and one former Harvard women’s hockey players take the ice.

Co-captains Angela Ruggiero and Lauren McAuliffe, as well as sophomore Julie Chu and former co-captain Jamie Hagerman ‘03 are among 36 players who have been chosen to represent their nation at the training camp primarily used in deciding the 2004 U.S. Women’s National Team roster.

Ruggiero, arguably the best women’s hockey defenseman in the game, holds the school record for a defenseman in goals and assists and can boast a gold and silver medal from the 1998 and 2002 Olympics, respectively.

Chu, who has been a member of the U.S. national team since 2000, joined Ruggiero on the 2002 U.S. Olympic silver-medalist team. She currently ranks third on the Crimson in scoring. McAuliffe, a power play specialist, is tied with Ruggiero for second on the Crimson in power-play goals with four. McAuliffe also attended the USA Hockey National Team Festival this summer.

Hagerman, an anchor of the defense during her time at Harvard, currently plays for the Brampton Thunder of the National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL).

Chu, Ruggiero and Hagerman also played together on the U.S. Women’s Select Team that won gold at the Four Nations’ Cup in Sweden last month.

The training camp, held at the World Arena in Colorodo Springs, Colo., runs from Dec. 27 to Jan. 1.

Women's Ice Hockey