Drama Club Names New Loeb ‘Ex’ Coordinator

By Laura L. Krug, Crimson Staff Writer

The executive board of the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club (HRDC) chose an insider early yesterday morning to replace the vacated spot of coordinator for the most-used theater venue on campus.

HRDC Treasurer Sarah E. Downer ’04 will become the Loeb Experimental Theater (Ex) Coordinator—the person who chooses and oversees all shows in the Ex—after the position was vacated earlier this week.

Jeremy R. Funke ’04, who was elected Ex coordinator in December, was asked by the College to take a year-long leave of absence for academic reasons. He submitted his resignation to the HRDC on Monday.

“He leaves us on good terms as a fine and ambitious Ex coordinator and he will be greatly missed,” HRDC President Ben D. Margo ’03-’04 wrote in a statement e-mailed to the club’s mailing list.

Funke said he will continue to participate in theater outside of Harvard during his time off and will return to the HRDC upon his return to school.

“I’m not sure if I’ll jump right back in terms of administrative capacity, but I’m certainly not going to give up theater in any way,” Funke said. “I’ll support the board in any way I can and I will stay involved in the community.”

Board members say Funke, a long-time member of Harvard’s theater community and previous HRDC club coordinator, will be missed on several counts.

“Not having Jeremy is a hit in a number of ways,” said HRDC Vice-President Jeremy W. Blocker ’04. “He’s clearly a good friend to many of us and he’s an excellent Ex coordinator. He’s the only board member who’s had [previous] board experience and we’ll miss him in all three of those ways.”

Blocker said that despite the emotional and logistical difficulties that will accompany Downer’s transition period, he has confidence that the board’s plans will remain on course.

Downer said she plans to continue Funke’s projects during her time as Ex coordinator.

“My primary goal is to carry on the election goals that Jeremy had, which are to facilitate a really artistically phenomenal season of shows,” Downer said.

The Ex coordinator was one of only four contested positions on the nine-member Board during the December elections.

Over his short tenure, Funke and the board made several significant changes to the spring Ex season, including a smaller season with an increased budget to individual shows.

Downer and the board will select the fall’s Ex season at the end of the spring semester.

Blocker said he thinks Downer will rise to the challenges of her new position.

“I have complete confidence…in Sarah’s ability to manage the Ex and pick a season,” he said.

Downer will briefly serve as both treasurer and Ex coordinator until open elections for the treasurer position can be held.

—Staff writer Laura L. Krug can be reached at krug@fas.harvard.edu.