Letters

Smith Should Do More than Just Criticize

Letters to the editor

By Rene H. shen

To the editors:

As an “angry activist” myself, the first thing that comes to mind is why isn’t Luke Smith organizing the students around a better undergraduate education (Comment, “Angry Activists,” Feb. 14)? Having served on the Undergraduate Council last year on the Student Affairs Committee, I know that I was working for a better relationship between faculty and students—even while I was advocating for a world where AIDS does not have to be a death sentence.

This is besides the point. Luke Smith knew he was going to be creating a firestorm when he wrote this article, which is exactly why he wrote it. Instead of acting upon his own suggestions, he instead chooses to psychoanalyze those groups he does not agree with, only confirming his own insecurity about where he fits in among Harvard students.

It is easy to judge and presume things from the outside. After all, the Harvard AIDS Coalition is pushing for more developmental and AIDS related courses here at Harvard. Its time for Luke Smith to realize that we do not live in a vacuum—his tacit approval of what his government does means that millions of lives are needlessly condemned to death.

I can respect someone who acts upon his beliefs, but for someone who criticizes for the sake of sounding deep and intelligent I just feel pity.

Rene H. Shen ’04

Feb. 17, 2003

Letters