Letters

Crimson Undermines Claims for True Diversity

Letter to the Editors

By Elliot Aguilar, Emily E. Cabrera, and Wendy Caceres, Crimson Staff Writers

To the editors:

We are writing to express our displeasure with the statement concerning La Vida at Harvard in the Crimson Wisdom section of your Feb. 14 issue. To say the least, it is as of yet uncertain what exactly was intended by the downward arrow and the sentiment “that’s just loco,” but there is no question regarding its offensive nature. The explanations we have been given are not up to par, and do not absolve the Crimson of guilt in this error. This statement ridicules the Latino community’s efforts to gain personal as well as campus-wide recognition. It is a grave insult to see the assiduous efforts being devoted to La Vida, and its future usefulness as a student resource, publicly and immaturely mocked. In contrast to this insult we were very pleased with your initial article profiling the La Vida project in the Feb. 11 issue (News, “‘La Vida To Be First Latino Student Guide”). However, despite that praiseworthy article, this most recent incident represents The Crimson’s tendency towards culturally insensitive reporting of minority issues and organizations. In the hopes of remedying these problems, Fuerza has sought to meet with The Crimson in the past and allowed representatives from the newspaper to make announcements at our general meetings about comping and The Crimson’s desire for a more diverse staff. Regardless of the claims made by Crimson representatives, efforts towards true diversity are undermined by irresponsible actions such as this.

It would be an understatement to say that we are tired of The Crimson’s inaction in regards to its problems with reporting on the minority community. Fuerza, as well as many other member’s of Harvard’s minority community will no longer suffer these culturally or racially insensitive blunders from your publication—“comedic” or otherwise.

Wendy Caceres ’03

Emily E. Cabrera ’03

Elliot Aguilar ’04

Feb. 22, 2003

The writers are president, vice president, and social chair of Fuerza Latina respectively.

Letters