Faculty Dismiss Pomey, Gomes

By Jenifer L. Steinhardt, Crimson Staff Writer

The Faculty voted on Feb. 11 to dismiss from the College Randy J. Gomes and Suzanne M. Pomey, members of the class of 2002 who were convicted last fall of embezzling almost $100,000 from the Hasty Pudding Theatricals.

The College chose in June not to award diplomas to Gomes and Pomey—who had completed their studies by Commencement—because of pending legal proceedings.

Following a court ruling, the Administrative Board began its own investigation to determine the University’s course of disciplinary action. In early December, having completed its investigation, the board presented its findings to the Faculty Council, a group of faculty advisors who approve measures before they go before the full Faculty.

The council approved the Ad Board’s recommendation that the two students be dismissed and placed the matter on the agenda for the February Faculty meeting.

Ultimately, all student dismissals from The College must be approved by a vote of the full Faculty.

Gomes and Pomey were unavailable for comment.

Students dismissed from the College rarely return because their re-entry requires another Faculty vote.

Only 23 students were dismissed from the College between 1936 and 1999, and nine have since been readmitted.

The last time a student was dismissed from the College was in 1999, when the full Faculty voted to dismiss D. Drew Douglas and Joshua M. Elster, Class of 2000, who were charged in separate incidents of rape.