Crimson Gets Two Kazmaier Nominees

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard women’s hockey captains Jennifer Botterill and Angela Ruggiero were named as two of the 10 candidates for the Patty Kazmaier Award yesterday following a selection process that was as much a formality as a Crimson Beanpot victory over Boston University’s club team.

Botterill and Ruggiero were each named Kazmaier canidates for the third time in their careers. In the five-year history of the Kazmaier—the USA Hockey award given to the most outstanding player in U.S. women’s college hockey—Harvard players have won twice. A.J. Mleczko ’97-’99 won the award in 1999, and Botterill won in 2001.

The 10 Kazmaier candidates were selected by a vote of all Division One women’s college hockey coaches. Coaches were allowed to nominate just two players from their teams.

Of the initial 10 candidates, three will be named as finalists on March 10 by a 13-member panel consistently of hockey coaches, media representatives and a USA Hockey representative. The Kazmaier will be awarded on Mar. 22—the day before the NCAA Championship game—at the Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center on the cusp of Lake Superior.

Selection criteria for the Kazmaier include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character and a love of hockey. Consideration will also be given to academic achievement and civic involvement.

Harvard, the hosts of the 25th women’s Beanpot, next plays BU’s club team at 8 p.m. tonight at the Bright Center The Crimson will face the winner of today’s 5 p.m. Northeastern-Boston College game in the Beanpot finals the following Tuesday. Harvard has won the last four Beanpot titles.