Focus

The Editorial Board of The Harvard Crimson Is Pleased To Announce its Columnists for the Spring Term

Arianne R. Cohen ’03, a women’s studies concentrator in Leverett House, will continue using her space to elaborate on the strange, the obvious and the appalling in student life and culture. In her final semester, she is thrilled to have a diversion from the many hours she spends guiltily not writing her thesis each day. Her column, Daily Encounters, will continue to appear on alternate Mondays.

Duncan M. Currie ’04, a history concentrator in Leverett House, is beginning his first semester as a Crimson columnist. He will offer insight and commentary on the major issues of the day, taken from a conservative perspective. He hopes to both inform and entertain readers—even those who aren’t members of the “Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy.” His column will appear on alternate Wednesdays.

Madeleine S. Elfenbein ’04, a social studies concentrator in Kirkland House, is back from Paris and in the midst of a concerted effort to reinvent herself along familiar lines. Theoretically wedded to the notion that words mean something, she asks only that you read before you respond. Her column will appear on alternate Fridays.

Jonathan H. Esensten ’04 is a biochemical sciences concentrator in Lowell House. He will continue writing about science, sects, insects and various other beasties found at Harvard and in the real world during his second semester as a columnist. His column, “Cavorting Beasties” will now appear on alternate Mondays.

Anthony S. A. Freinberg ’04 is a history concentrator in Lowell House and staff director of The Crimson. His column, focusing on life at Harvard, will continue to appear on alternate Fridays. Rumors are that with the NFL season completed, their quality might improve somewhat. Well, at least until baseball Opening Day.

Richard T. Halvorson ’03, is a philosophy and government concentrator. From the rustic outpost of Pforzheimer House, this Crimson editor will apply his varied experience and eclectic academic background to offer unique insights on contemporary global issues. Synthesizing international trends in politics and culture, he will present a “globalist” perspective. His column will appear on alternate Tuesdays.

Zachary R. Heineman ’03, a history and literature concentrator in Leverett House, has spent the last three and a half years watching Harvard try to get things built in Cambridge. A former Crimson reporter, he loves watching local residents get fired up as they confront the prospect of another Mather tower in their backyards. His column, appearing on alternate Mondays, will look to the past for perspective on current development plans and maybe make a few humble suggestions.

Judd B. Kessler ’04 is an economics concentrator in Adams House and editorial co-chair of The Crimson. In his second semester as author of “The Undergraduate,” Judd will write on matters of undergraduate education and college life and hopes that at least one person will confuse him with Dustin Hoffman. His column will continue to appear on alternate Tuesdays.

Phoebe Kosman ’05, a history and literature concentrator in Winthrop House, knows the risqué final verse of “Sweet Betsy From Pike.” She looks forward to exploring other cultural phenomena in her column, which will now appear on alternate Wednesdays.

Sue Meng ’03, a history and literature concentrator in Adams House, is beginning her third and final semester as a columnist. She will emerge from thesis-induced hibernation to turn some of that interdisciplinary know-how onto issues that plague this fine institution, including an exposé of the Peoplesoft payroll system. She would like to take this opportunity to say (are you listening, payroll?) that she has still not gotten paid. Her column will continue to appear on alternate Mondays.

Zachary S. Podolsky ’04, a Crimson editor and classics concentrator in Currier House, will continue to tackle issues of undergraduate education and academic life at Harvard. He hopes that at least a kernel or two of truth will emerge from his second round of pontifications. His column will continue to appear on alternate Thursdays.

Focus