BOOK IMMORTALIZES COPELAND TRADITION

In an attempt to immortalize the "Copeland Tradition" the Brimmer Company will publish shortly "The Copeland Reader", containing the selections in prose and verse which Professor Charles Townsend Copeland '82 has used in his public readings, with a long introduction by Professor Copeland himself.

For a number of years his friends, his admirers and many publishing houses have been urging Professor Copeland to publish a collection of his readings with critical comment. He has, however, always said "no" to every suggestion or proposal; in fact, he has not published any books since 1909, when his "Selections from Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley and Keats", written in colaboration with H. M. Rideout '99, appeared.

Contains Interpretative Comment

"The Copeland Reader", which is 800 pages long, will include selections from the Bible, Shakespeare, Browning, Stevenson, Dickens and the Classics, with a varied selection from modern authors, including de la Mare, Barrie, Masefield, Mark Twain and Justice Holmes. In addition to the introduction, at the request of his publishers Professor Copeland will probably write a short interpretative comment to be inserted before each selection.

The Brimmer Company is publishing, besides the regular edition which is to be priced within the means of everybody, a special "de luxe" edition limited to 325 copies, of which 200 will be for sale at $35 apiece. The publishers declare that no expense will be spared to make each of these volumes worthy of Professor Copeland's genius.

Sturges Makes Etching

They will be bound in hand made green Fabriano covers with. Buckram backs, printed on Arche's hand made paper, and boxed. With each copy will go an etching of Professor Copeland done especially for this edition by D. C. Sturges, who made the etching of C. W. Eliot '53, President of the University, emeritus. When Professor Copeland was asked what artist he preferred for the work, he particularly chose Mr. Sturges, because of his ad- miration for his etching of President Eliot.

Subscriptions for the limited edition have already begun to flow in, although no previous detailed announcement of the work has been made, so that when the circular is issued next week a rush for the remaining copies is expected.

The publishers hope to have the work adopted for use in English courses at colleges and secondary schools throughout the country. In this way they expect to extend the teaching of Professor Copeland beyond the limits of the University to the country at large.

Professor Copeland graduated from the University with the class of 1882. From 1893 to 1910 he was Lecturer on English Literature, and in 1910 he was made an Assistant Professor. Since 1917 he has been an Associate Professor. Besides this book, Professor Copeland has written several articles in the Atlantic Monthly and "The Life of Edwin Booth", besides editing "The Letters of Thomas Carlyle to his Youngest Sister", with an introductory essay, in collaboration with Mr. Rideout on Tennyson's "The Princess"