Catch 'Catch Me' If You Can

Dollar Movies in the Science Center offer students a welcome break from work

By The CRIMSON Staff

Provide the masses with entertainment, and they will lead content lives. The notion is as true today as it was in Roman times, and we are pleased to see that the Undergraduate Council is providing entertainment to the Harvard masses. The ancient Greeks had theater and the Romans had chariot races, but here in the land of Edison, Americans have movies. Panem et circenses (bread and circuses) has become “popcorn and movies.”

We hope that strong attendance at today’s showing of “Catch Me If You Can” will encourage more screenings of popular films. Since the screening will cost the council a little more than $1,000, and since Science Center B only holds 492 students, the council would have stood to lose at least $500 had corporate sponsorship from The Coop not covered the costs. But high turnout would clearly be a mandate for more events like this one—even at a financial loss to the council.

While the Science Center rules prohibit food and beverage inside the lecture halls, it would be nice for the University to bend these rules and allow the council to sell popcorn and other refreshments at their $1 movies. If the council were responsible for clean-up, and the sale of concessions at future events were in the balance, there would be no harm to having student enjoy snacks with the film.

Harvard students often complain of being overworked. While occasional showings of quality movies, like “Catch Me If You Can,” may not help finish our problem sets and papers, they will provide a welcome social diversion that is cheap, easily accessible and crowd pleasing. In the midst of a busy semester, a little relaxation is always welcome.