The FM Guide to Being a Princess

The grim Cambridge weather and an onslaught of schoolwork and activities can suck the zest out of just about anybody.
By Irin Carmon

The grim Cambridge weather and an onslaught of schoolwork and activities can suck the zest out of just about anybody. Some respond by simply cutting out the “extras,” grooming and pampering being among them. Others resolutely refuse to give up their self-indulgence, becoming spoiled princesses with a vengeance. Admire these glimmering creatures: being a princess takes time and effort and they’ve spent semesters honing their skills and choosing their gurus. FM assembled a panel of experts to help you skip trial and error and go straight to the royal treatment.

Hair

Where would a princess be without her glossy locks? Despite numerous options in the Square, pickings for princesses are slim: Le Pli in the Charles Hotel is overrated, and if you buy the Gino’s hype, make sure you get Giuliana for highlights or Marisol’s Aveda treatment. The Carriage House Salon on Church Street specializes in a cut for curly hair called the Ouidad cut. On Newbury Street, a princess’s spiritual home, go to Laurel Elliott at Vidal Sassoon for color, and Mario Russo Salon and Salonpini for cuts. At Leonard Stephen’s, says one princess, “I go to Lenny himself. The cut’s amazing, and it’s fairly inexpensive. $50—I mean, we’re talking princesses here.”

Nails

Princesses never do work with their hands—the occasional response paper aside—and what better way to show it than a well-groomed hand? Open-toe shoe season seems woefully far off, but dainty feet need to look good even when no one can see them. Unfortunately, a manicure-pedicure combo starts at $50 everywhere in the Square, a price absurd even for royalty. Sunny Nails in Central Square is far more reasonable, and has massage chairs (pedicurists at Pure Line and Sasha’s Skin Care both twist your feet and rest them on their laps). Near the Quad, Fancy Fingers is a deal.

Gyms

Health may not be a pursuit limited to princesses, but abandoning the long lines at the Malkin Athletic Center (MAC) for a personal trainer and a whirlpool is. The closest and most expensive option is Wellbridge, which has a steam room, cable TV and swimming pool. Angela E. Kim ’03 swears by kickboxing on Saturdays with Katy, as well as the Performance in Training class. “It’s like boot camp, and it makes me want to vomit when I’m done,” she reports happily. (Princesses on a budget can pick up a free week-long pass at most Square establishments.) It’s only one T-stop away to feminine empowerment at Healthworks in Porter, an all-women’s gym. Try Jenny Briggs for training or Teanna for boxing. “She’s a serious bad-ass and kind of scary,” says a regular, “but it’s a cool class.” Boston Sports Club has new facilities, a huge weight-room selection and built-in personal cable TVs. The biggest perk, though, is using your membership freely at all Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington locations.

Waxing

Ever-vigilant about hair removal, Harvard’s princesses rave about Pure Line on JFK Street for eyebrow waxing, while others trek to Dellaria in Kenmore Square for the arch wonders of Danielle. Teresa at Le Pli is also a favorite. While some expressed doubt about Ricki’s and Sasha’s, one veteran insists that Lena at Sasha’s has the “best, fastest and most painless Brazilian wax ever.” FM will take her word for it.

Skin Treatments, Makeup and Massages

Some princesses opt for Le Pli because it’s close, but the atmosphere isn’t the most relaxing. Still, get Damien for a hot stone massage. “He’s this pixie-like man who looks like he belongs on the lord of the rings,” says one devotée, “and he ‘channels your spirit’ or whatever.” On Newbury, try Bella Sante, which enthusiasts swear is worth the trip out of the Square for either a facial or massage. If you’re into wrangling free things—and no princess is ever too good for a free sample—go to Origins in the off-hours and get a free facial treatment.

The best day spa package in Boston, says princess extraordinaire Nancy A. Redd ’03, is The Sports Club/LA at the Ritz Boston Common. After she won $250,000 on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” Redd treated all of her friends to sea salt scrubs, body masks, facials, massages, hairdos, manicures and pedicures. “Dave Matthew’s Band was there getting a manicure while we were,” she says. But Redd also knows how to get things for free: she recommends the Chanel Counter at Saks Fifth Avenue for free makeup application, as well as Kiehl’s on Newbury for free samples to last you a week.

Tanning

Did you really think that healthy glow came from the radiant Cambridge sun? Well-informed fake bakers know that Sun City, just above Chili’s, is the best thing to happen to Harvard Square since Origins. Elvis, the good-natured proprietor, will even turn down the techno if you ask nicely. Experts say that Boston Beach Club in the Porter Exchange Mall is best avoided, but if you’re shopping on Newbury, Tan-o-Rama on the corner of Mass. Ave is a basement haven.