A Mann With a Mission

With rival Princeton in town, sophomore catcher and DH leads Crimson into Ivy home opener

By Lisa Kennelly, Crimson Staff Writer

For the Harvard baseball team, tomorrow’s doubleheader against Princeton will inevitably conjure up memories of last season’s Ivy Championship Series. The Crimson (7-12, 2-2 Ivy) came away with the Ivy title—the Tigers went home with two close losses and a burning sense of resentment.

For Schuyler Mann, the Crimson’s sophomore catcher and offensive catalyst, the sight of orange and black uniforms might remind him of scoring the game-winning run in the second of those two contests. It might remind him of being behind the plate, calling the 2-1 pitching gem in that same game.

But for one of tomorrow’s games, Mann will reminisce not from the field, but from the dugout, where, as designated hitter, he will only appear in the Harvard half of the inning.

With the return of 2000 All-Ivy senior catcher Brian Lentz from a year off, the backstop duties are now split. Harvard coach Joe Walsh, reluctant to remove either valuable player from the lineup, generally plays one at catcher and one at DH.

Thus Mann, who in his rookie season dazzled both offensively and defensively, has taken a reduced catching role this year.

“It’s more of a mind game than anything else,” Mann said of playing DH. “If you have a bad at-bat you have to go sit down and stew over it. If you’re playing in the field you can vent.”

But the change has not affected Mann’s hitting prowess. After three months of summer baseball in the Great Lakes League in Ohio, he returned to Harvard with his game strengthened and refined. Through 19 games, Mann is batting .347 with 12 RBI and 3 home runs.

“Swinging a wood bat all summer really makes a difference,” Mann said.

For Walsh, the difference in Mann’s play was quickly evident.

“He’s taking on that curveball that he had trouble with [last year], not letting it get in on him,” Walsh said. “He’s really become a complete hitter. All phases [of his swing] are sharper.”

With Mann as a home run threat in the lineup behind junior powerhouse Trey Hendricks, opponents are unable to pitch around the switch-hitting first baseman.

And Mann’s efforts defensively, though now slightly more limited, remain consistent.

“It’s nice having him behind the plate,” said senior pitcher Kenon Ronz. “He’ll tell you what he thinks and will listen to what you have to say. That’s nice to have in a catcher.”

Mann himself uses his split time to take lessons from Lentz’s experienced play.

“I like watching [Lentz] both catching and hitting,” Mann said. “All these things I take away from his game and want to add to mine.”

“We’ve got a great situation here,” Walsh added. “We feel we have two top-flight D-I catchers.”

The Crimson will need both Mann and Lentz, regardless of position, to be in fine form this weekend for doubleheaders against Princeton (10-15, 3-1 Ivy) on Saturday and Cornell (8-9, 2-2) on Sunday. Play begins at noon both days.

The league rival Tigers have played in seven straight Ivy League Championship Series, five against Harvard. The Crimson has won the last four playoff meetings.

While Harvard lost seven of its regular position players, Princeton is returning 10 of its top 11 hitters. In addition, the Tigers have a rock-solid pitching staff that will present at least two of its top three starting pitchers in the doubleheader tomorrow.

Ross Ohlendorf, last year’s Ivy Rookie of the Year and one of the best starters in the league, will be a definite nuisance for Crimson hitters with his 90-plus fastball.

Reliever Thomas Pauly, an American Baseball Coaches Association third-team All-American last year, struck out 14 batters in 11 innings of work last week. He is expected to be the first Ivy player to go in this year’s MLB draft.

“It always comes down to pitching against Princeton, and I don’t think this weekend will be any different,” said Walsh.

“The hitters are going to have to give our pitchers run support,” said Ronz. “These are going to be close games if their stud [pitchers] don’t shut us down.”

Last season, the Crimson opened its Ivy campaign with sweeps of Princeton and Cornell. After a mediocre 2-2 start to its league season last weekend, Harvard could use a similar performance.

Thanks to the continuing winter weather, Harvard has not yet had a full practice or game on its home turf of O’Donnell Field. But the squad’s still eager to begin Ivy play on familiar territory.

“It’s definitely an edge,” Walsh said of the home field advantage. “We’re happy to be home.”

—Staff writer Lisa J. Kennelly can be reached at kennell@fas.harvard.edu.