After Slow Start, Senior Gift Breaks 1996 Record

By Wendy D. Widman, Crimson Staff Writer

With a rally of donations in the last few days, just over 70 percent of the Class of 2003 gave money for the Senior Class Gift, breaking a participation record set in 1996.

After a slow start, participation increased last week as organizers made personal pleas for donations.

The gift is an annual donation made to the University by the senior class.

“We found the number one reason why people would give was if they were asked. We just had to sit people down and talk to them,” said Naomi J. Wender ’03.

Organizers did not have an estimate last night of how much money has been raised.

The first phase of the gift campaign began in mid-February and ended Friday, with an average of 70.34 percent of seniors contributing to the fund. The participation rates varied widely among the Houses, with Dunster House and Currier House leading the way with 88 percent participation. Cabot House came up last at 44 percent participation.

The campaign encouraged competition between the Houses, and Dunster and Currier will both receive a $300 prize for their efforts, according to organizers.

Dudley House, who had the most improved rate of participation at 50 percent, will receive $200.

The senior gift campaign, co-chaired by Elisabeth B. Stoeckel ’03 and Dennis J. Mak ’03, began forming committees for each House in November and December, according to Mather House Participation Chair Veronica M. Wissel ’03.

According to Mak, the campaign usually ends by spring break. This year, however, the organizers extended the fund raising effort for an extra two weeks.

The extra time allowed for the last-minute rally pushed numbers past the record.

“We had pretty consistent giving throughout,” Mak said, “and there was a huge rally at the end.”

Mather House’s participation rate jumped 60 percent in the last week, according to Wender.

By the end of the last week, Mather had posted 78 percent participation.

“We were a little worried at the beginning of the week, but we organized events like drinks and desserts with the House masters to get people involved,” she said.

At Leverett House, numbers also rose from last year with a total of 57 percent participation.

“We tabled at lunch and hosted study breaks with Herrell’s and Finale,” said Leverett organizer Cody R. Corliss ’03.

“Our goal is to educate. We want to get as many seniors as possible to understand why we give to Harvard,” Corliss said.

Mak said that the goal of the campaign had been to beat the record of the Class of 1996.

He credited the senior class and members of the committee for the success

“The senior class did a phenomenal job this year, just unbelievable,” he said.

—Staff writer Wendy D. Widman can be reached at widman@fas.harvard.edu.