W. Lacrosse Coach to Retire at End of Season

By Timothy M. Mcdonald, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard women’s lacrosse coach Carole Kleinfelder will resign effective at the end of this season. Kleinfelder announced her decision to her team last Saturday before the Crimson’s 12-2 loss to Princeton.

Kleinfelder, the all-time winningest coach in women’s collegiate lacrosse, is in her 23rd season at Harvard, where her coaching ability, her teams and her players have all garnered national attention. During her tenure, the Crimson has captured a dozen Ivy League titles and appeared in 11 NCAA Tournaments. Those tournament appearances peaked in 1990 when Harvard was undefeated and won the national title, becoming the first Ivy League women’s team to do so—in any sport.

From the comments of her current players, it is obvious that Kleinfelder’s impact extends beyond numbers in a record book.

“On a selfish note, I’m glad I got to play for her all four years before she retired,” co-captain Katie Shaughnessy said.

Her players are not alone in realizing her worth—Kleinfelder was the National Coach of the Year in 1990 and 1992 and spent three years as President of the United States Women’s Lacrosse Association. In listening to her players, a picture of Kleinfelder beyond Jordan Field emerges.

“She’s more than just a coach,” junior goaltender Laura Mancini said. “She cares about all her players, their lives outside of lacrosse, and the team recognizes that.”

“She’s been more than a coach,” Shaughnessy seconded. “She’s had a sort of motherly role for us over the years. Announcing her retirement is just added motivation for us to play hard and get wins for our coach,” Shaughnessy said.

—TIMOTHY M. MCDONALD

Editor’s Note: A more complete recap of Coach Kleinfelder’s career will run in Friday’s Crimson.