Inclement Weather Cancels Home Women’s Crew Race

By Carrie H. Petri, Crimson Staff Writer

The Radcliffe heavyweight crew’s race Saturday against Penn and Brown was cancelled due to inclement weather. Because of the cold and unfavorable forecast, the teams were unable to row in the basin of the Charles River, where they usually compete. Brown, therefore, decided not to make the trip north on Friday night. Penn, on the other hand, had already arrived and, as it turned out, the weather was suitable for a race farther down the Charles. Ivy League restrictions limit the number of races each team can schedule and, as the Black and White already has the maximum, it could not legally divide Saturday’s regatta into two separate races. The team, anxious for its contest against Brown to count, decided that its race against Penn on Saturday would not be an official competition, but instead a scrimmage. The length of the race was also reduced from the normal two kilometers to 1250 meters. Although no official times were kept, Radcliffe handily beat Penn. Saturday’s official race will be rescheduled at a later date.