Mitt’s an Adequate Catch

Student input on speaker is an admirable goal, but Romney is satisfactory

By The CRIMSON Staff

The recent petition by students at the Kennedy School for Government (KSG) against the selection of Mass. Gov. W. Mitt Romney as commencement speaker raises valid issues of student involvement in commencement day activities. But the petition’s demand—that Romney should not speak—is simply a partisan effort against a conservative leader that should not influence the administration to change this year’s speaker.

Commencement is first and foremost for graduating students, a culmination of their academic experiences and a celebration of their hard work and future endeavors. Students, then, would be best suited in deciding who embodies the knowledge they have gained and leads the career they hope to emulate. At commencement, students should get to hear a speaker with whom they are comfortable and from whom they can learn. The decision of Joseph McCarthy, senior associate dean at the KSG, to discuss with the student government future student involvement in the selection process is praiseworthy.

But this year, the administration should ignore the clearly partisan petition against the Governor. Started by a staffer for former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert B. Reich, one of Romney’s democratic opponents, the petition is no more than liberal frustration over a conservative choice. Students at the KSG, trained to recognize the workings of the political process, should know better than to cave to such partisan politics and appreciate hearing from a high-profile state leader, regardless of his political stance.

While Romney’s politics are at times frustratingly conservative, he is certainly qualified to address the graduating class. The petition contests his role as a public servant, citing his extensive private sector work in venture capital, and his lack of experience in the public sector. But Romney is not without public service credentials, having performed an admirable job as chair of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, and he continues his work as governor of Massachusetts. And while his recent tenure is far from immaculate—refusing to reconsider rescinding tax rollbacks while he cuts social service spending and fails to balance the budget—he certainly could offer interesting advice and reflection on work in politics and service. Students may not have chosen him voluntarily, but he can still offer wise words for budding politicians. Romney will address the graduates—let’s hear what he has to say.