Former HUDS Manager Sentenced

Dalla Santa to serve one year for drug trafficking

By Simon W. Vozick-levinson, Crimson Staff Writer

A former employee of Harvard University Dining Services was sentenced to a year in prison without parole last week, after pleading guilty to drug trafficking, a district attorney spokesperson said.

Angelo Dalla Santa was the manager of the dining halls in Lowell House and Winthrop House in December 2001 when he was arrested and charged with trafficking 300 pounds of marijuana—an amount estimated to be worth approximately $500,000. In the 19 months since, his trial has been held up by a variety of legal maneuverings, including a venue change and a failed motion to exclude certain evidence.

In place of the two original charges—including a count of conspiracy to violate drug laws in addition to the trafficking count—Dalla Santa pled guilty to a single count of trafficking marijuana in an amount more than 50 but less than 100 pounds, Middlesex County District Attorney’s spokesperson Emily J. LaGrassa said.

She said that Dalla Santa, who had been out on bail, was jailed immediately after his plea.

LaGrassa said the charge—which is to be served in the Middlesex House of Corrections in Billerica—carried a mandatory minimum sentence of one year, eliminating any chance of parole.

Dalla Santa was unavailable for comment.

His lawyer, Kevin Barron, said he felt the outcome of the case had been affected by media attention.

“I think the publicity forced the prosecutor’s hand and prevented him from getting more of a positive and helpful sentence,” Barron said.

—SIMON W. VOZICK-LEVINSON