University Tops Reputation Rating

By Nicholas M. Ciarelli, Contributing Writer

Harvard and several of its teaching hospitals topped a survey ranking the overall reputations of Massachusetts companies and institutions, according to results released Wednesday by a Boston public relations firm.

Harvard took the top spot for the second consecutive year.

The survey, conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corp., asked 200 state business executives to rate the companies based on corporate governance and ethics, social responsibility and working conditions.

Peter A. Morrissey, president and CEO of Morrissey & Co, which commissioned the survey, attributed the University’s high ranking to its scientific research, scholarships and planned improvements to the undergraduate program—as well as longevity.

“You can’t make light of the fact that you’ve been around for 350 years,” Morrissey said.

Morrissey also praised the University for listening to the business community, specifically calling attention to Harvard’s plan for expansion in Allston. He said President Lawrence H. Summers shows “a real willingness and accessibility” in talking to business leaders.

Universities and hospitals filled the top seven spots because, Morrissey said, executives recognized them for serving the public good.

“People have very good feelings about the university community and what they contribute here to the quality of life in Massachusetts,” he said. “Their mission is the pursuit of the truth.”

Harvard’s medical affiliates also ranked high with business leaders. Children’s Hospital received the number two spot—up from 16 last year—while Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care all placed in the top 20.

Michelle Davis, vice president of public affairs at Children’s Hospital, attributed the improved ranking to its active board of directors and honesty with employees and the community during a period of losses and regulatory scrutiny.

“We hope it’s because through hard times and good times, we’ve always stayed focused on our mission of providing the most advanced pediatric care,” Davis wrote in an e-mail. “That goal trumps all others.”