The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Censorship by BGLTSA misrepresented

By Jeff Rakover

In its staff editorial, “A Plaguing Political Correctness,” (Opinion, Oct. 22) the Crimson editorial board accused the Bisexual, Gay, Transg ender, and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) of censoring the Satire V.

The BGLTSA had a discussion with the leaders of Satire V voicing the concerns of students who had found the shirts offensive. In response, Satire V agreed to stop selling the shirts publicly. To call this action censorship is misleading at best, but to call for the silencing of those offended under the guise of free speech is nothing less than hypocritical.

The BGLTSA did not stifle debate; indeed, had we not expressed our view, there would have been no debate at all. The Crimson’s criticism of the BGLTSA is problematic because it seems to take issue with open, honest campus discourse. The dismissal of all the criticisms that have been lumped into the category of the “politically correct” ends conversation before it can begin. Such dismissals pose at least as strong a threat to free speech on campus as so-called “political correctness” itself.

JEFF RAKOVER ‘06

October 24

The writer is Political Chair of BGLTSA.