M. Golf takes fall-best second place at Toski Invitational

By David H. Stearns

It’s taken two months and dozens of frustrating rounds of golf, but the Harvard men’s golf team may have finally hit its stride.

Too bad it has to wait three months for the next tournament.

In its fall schedule finale, the Crimson put on its most impressive display of the season, earning second place in the 14-team field at the Toski Invitational in Amherst, Mass. Harvard finished with an aggregate score of 601, 11 strokes behind the winner, Laval University.

The Crimson completed Sunday’s first round four strokes behind Laval and couldn’t close the gap despite continued solid play.

Captain Chris Wu, who had struggled during much of the fall after a breakout junior year, led the Crimson with 73-70-143. Wu, who won the Toski Invitational last year, finished in second place, just two strokes off the pace.

“I played a lot better this weekend,” he said. “This course sets up well for my game, and so I was able to capitalize on good putting and pretty good ball striking.”

Meanwhile, Harvard’s younger members had their best tournament yet. Freshman Andrew Livingston shot a 75-76-151, and his classmate Sam Lissner a 75-79-154.

Junior D.J. Hynes, the most consistent contributor for the Crimson this fall, shot a 76-77-153, and sophomore Thomas Hegge struggled slightly with a 79-80-159.

The second-place finish was Harvard’s best this fall.

—DAVID H. STEARNS

Men's Golf