Slow Motion For Me

A cloud of smoke fills the dark air with swirling plumes of shadow broken only by heavy, labored breaths. Dazzling
By M. AIDAN Kelly

A cloud of smoke fills the dark air with swirling plumes of shadow broken only by heavy, labored breaths. Dazzling blades of green and red light appear as if from nowhere, piercing the mist amid grunts and panicked shouts. A few seconds later, it’s all over. One shining blade of light hits home to the sound of a blood-curdling scream. Both lights are extinguished.

Who knew fulfilling your Science A requirement could be so much fun?

Against all odds, it turns out science core professors have a sense of humor to match their shiny awards and international renown. And, even more surprising, this sense of humor can find its way into their lectures, some of which are—thank God—taped for posterity and available for ready viewing online.

Cult hit status for Mallinckrodt Professor of Physics Roy J. Glauber’s A-29 lecture might be improbable, but students and professors alike can appreciate lecture videos with a legitimate mass appeal. It doesn’t seem terribly likely that “watching old lecture videos” will become a popular hobby any time soon, but the resource presents intriguing possibilities. Not since the heady days of “School House Rock” has education provided so many laughs, and there’s no shame in taking advantage of it. Indeed, Glauber—whose light-saber dueling produced the blood-curdling scream in September—has been favorably compared to “Bill Nye the Science Guy.”

After viewing several hours of digital video, FM has learned not very much about theoretical physics, but a lot about funny lecture videos. The following tidbits should appeal to astronomy enthusiasts and procrastinators alike.

PHALLIC SYMBOL

Glauber’s videos are available online at www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~scia29. On September 20, around minute 35, Glauber strokes a phallic fluorescent light and engages in his lightsaber duel.

EXIT PLAN

On April 8, Clowes Professor of Science and Quincy Housemaster Robert P. Kirshner left class driving a tiny racecar.

MASTER OF DISGUISE

On Setpember 22 at 21:30, Glauber’s face is projected onto a giant screen wearing a fake nose and mustache.

LECTURE WITH CHAMPIONS

Kirshner’s Science A-35: The Nature of Light and Matter lectures can be found at www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~scia35. On April 27, minute 48 featured a student with a miner’s hat balancing like a figure skater on a spinning platform.

PREPUBESENCE ALL OVER AGAIN

On November 3, eight minutes in, Glauber takes a hit of helium from a hose and goes on teaching class.

THE FUTURE?

Most funny class moments are never captured on celluloid, destined to live forever after only in anecdotes. Richard Wragham and Marc Hauser keep the students of Science B-29: Evolution of Human Nature amused with a steady stream of witty banter and PowerPoint depictions of baboon sex.

Unfortunately, B-29’s videos are only made available as study tools before the mid-term and final. Rumors that stockpiles of funny footage sit in the Prep Room in the basement of the Science Center—also labeled “Collection of Hysterical Scientific Instruments”—could not be proven. Send more tips to fm@thecrimson.com.