Yes, We Have No Tomatoes

Some say to may to and some say to mah to, but soon members of both camps will be wondering
By Lorraine E. Hammer

Some say tomayto and some say tomahto, but soon members of both camps will be wondering where all the round, red fruits went.

Mother Nature has wreaked havoc on the California tomato crop, where the majority of growing regions for tomatoes are located. As a result, there has been a steep reduction in the amount of tomatoes available. In addition, according to Crista Martin, Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) Director of Marketing and Communications, “what can be harvested is of mediocre quality at best.” Unfortunately, Harvard can’t buy its way out of this one, and HUDS has been receiving fewer and fewer shipments.

Martin says, ”While shortages do happen, this one is more severe than is typical.” For the time being, the salad bar appears to be the only victim. There will still be tomatoes in the grill area, and the shortage will not affect any of students’ favorite entrees.

HUDS responded to the situation by posting signs above the salad bar and rationing the number of tomatoes they put out for salads each meal. It is tricky predicting how many tomatoes to provide since HUDS can’t predict the end to the shortage.

Students have been bearing the bad news well. There have been very few comment cards on the dire tomato situation, and no negative feedback, according to Kenisha J. Perkins, the HUDS Customer Service Manager for Eliot and Kirkland House Dining Halls. “Not as of yet,” she says. “Surprisingly.”

But for students like Mary E. Birnbaum ’07, there will be problems when the tart treats run out. “I like my salads not to be all green, and I hate beans, carrots and potatoes. I really do enjoy a good tomato,” Birnbaum says.  Martin suggests substitutions like carrots or cucumbers but for Birnbaum, “Nothing beats a tomato.” In the end, Birnbaum has resigned herself to just “inclement-weather it out.”

The shortage has left many students wondering about the use of Harvard’s gazillion dollar endowment. With money like that, shouldn’t Harvard be able to control the weather by now?