Sports Brief: W. Volleyball faces several different playoff scenarios

By Michael R. James, Crimson Staff Writer

While The Game takes place 200 miles to its east, the Harvard women’s volleyball team might be taking on Yale in the opening round of the playoffs this Saturday at 4 p.m. in Union’s Viniar Athletic Center.

The matchup is contingent on Yale and Princeton holding serve at home tomorrow night against Brown and Penn, respectively.

This would allow the Bulldogs and Tigers to grab a share of the Ivy League title along with the Big Red and Crimson.

A four-team playoff would ensue to decide which team will claim the Ivy League’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Brown beat Yale 3-2 in Providence earlier this season, but has gone just 4-8 in the Ivies since.

Princeton handed Penn a 3-1 loss in the Palestra to start the Ivy season, but the Quakers remained in the title hunt until last weekend, before a 3-0 loss to the Crimson ended their hopes.

Harvard would be the four-seed in that tournament and would take on the top-seeded Yale, while second-seeded Princeton would take on three-seed Cornell at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

The winners would face off in the title game on Sunday at 4 p.m.

If either the Bulldogs or the Tigers lose, the Crimson would take on the Big Red at 4 p.m. on Saturday for the right to face Yale or Princeton on Sunday.

If both the Bulldogs and Tigers lose, Harvard would take on Cornell at 4 p.m. on Saturday for the automatic bid.

Women's Volleyball